Assessment-3

Read the four readings listed under Week 5.  You can bring your notes.

For Rakow and Wackwtz, find out (1) the two ways in which the term representation can be used, and please elaborate them

For Carlin& Winfrey, find out (2) How did the media represent Clinton’s image?

For Zoonen, find out (3) how does celebrity politics work in two gendered ways?

For Palmer-Mehta, find out (4) what are the differences between personal memory and collective memory?

In class, you will do an in-class writing (15 minutes).  To prepare for it, you can (a) underline the answers on your articles so that you can go back there for the in-class writing; (b) write down on a piece of paper your answers (3-4 sentences per question) and turn it in in class.

Teach-in

teach-in two

12 thoughts on “Assessment-3”

1. Mingyu, you did very well leading your Teach-In, especially for having keep our attention for the last 45 minutes of the teach-in without the help of a partner. It was clear that you understood the readings. I also would have chosen the articles about the media depiction of Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton and Aung San Suu Kyi political battle, as the topics are very relatable, both socially and culturally.

Your use of media in the presentation was good and including multiple videos and the incorporation of humor definitely held the class’s attention, some of the photos and clips used were more relevant than others. While interesting and funny, some of the images might have been more distracting than helpful.

I especially liked the idea of the debate, which helped to engage everyone in the class. I would have liked to see more debate questions to build a broader discussion as a result, but the exercise was a fun aspect within a limited amount of time. Branching off of the idea of privacy, it would have been interesting to debate the difference between privacy for male and female politicians.

Overall, nicely done.

1. Thank you, Mark! I read a lot of articles about these three outstanding ladies. It is a great way to understand the points they take and the images they are trying to build. And teach-in is a nice platform to share with you what I got.

2. I know this is a challenge for us to prepare one hour presentation. You completed well and it’s a good job. You set a great many of examples for us to learn and understand political women in USA, Finlad and Burma, especially the use of video clips, which was a great way to explain and attracted more attention among audiences. The PPT slides were displayed well and also helped us in understanding the essences of different political women in the world. The first PPT slide introduced the outline of your presentation clear, so we can totally acknowledge what you were going to do in the following steps.

I now have knowledge of the article of Aung San Suu Kyi and the background of Burma at that time. According to Mingyu’s introduction, what impressed me most was the interesting video clip“Conan Obrien Show” which I never saw. Conan ridiculed the same facial looks with the female president in Finland, currently I learn that even though male leaders still dominate the politics, female leaders is appearing increasingly all over the world.

However, there still existed some drawbacks. First of all, you looked somewhat nervous, therefore there were several grammar mistakes and the voice was a little bit low when you spoke in front of us. What’s more, the topic of discussion was interesting but you did not give us a conclusion or ideas of your thoughts after our statements on whether politician could open their private lives to the public.

Overall, we have to admit that there was a great deal of research for this main topic –female politicians, but you explained well and such a great job.

3. Mingyu, I have to first start by saying that your presentation was very well organized and I enjoyed it very much. Not only did you know the material well, but you prepared it in a manner that was easy to understand and held the attention of the class.

The videos of Sara Palin helped us to better understand her as a person in order to understand how her celebrity status had such a powerful impact on her campaign. I really enjoyed the video clip of Conan and the president of Finland, it was great that your were able to include comedic video clips in your presentation.

The in class debate helped us to personally relate and express our ideas about the topics that we had read about, and it was interesting to hear everyone’s opinions.

Overall excellent presentation, and you had a very large amount of information on Aun San Suu Kyi; what an interesting life!

Great job and thank you for the excellent presentation!

1. Thank you, Moss! It is so great that you like it! I came with the idea of having a debate by a sudden. For me, it is hard to say that should a politician have privacy or not. You want to know everything about you country leader, because he is the one making decision. But at same time, he is just a person like us, he should have privacy.

4. Mingyu, You did a great job. I liked that you use visuals in your presentation. Obviously, video clips and funny pictures encouraged class to reflect upon the topics you discussed in your presentation. However, I think that you could explain more in detail how the media portrays female politicians. For instance, I found the contents of your slide “Dan Moments” needed more explanation. For instance, you could explain how the media differs in their representation of male and female politicians. Additionally, I would have preferred that you included more discussion of Conan O’Brien’s and the president of Finland. For instance, you could connect the idea of how female politicians are depicted by the media in prime time shows. However, your video clips about Sara Palin and Hillary Clinton were brilliant. They helped me more deeply understand Carlin and Winfrey’s article.
    Lastly, I think your discussion of Aung San Suu Kyi was irrelevant to the first part of your presentation. Even though you provided a great story about Aung San Suu Kyi, you could try to make a connection with the “celebrity politicians” portion of your presentation. For instance, demonstrate to the class how Aung San Suu Kyi differs from Sarah Palin and how her strong personality affects people’s perceptions of her.
    Overall, I found your presentation very interesting, funny and encouraging. Also, you have excellent presentation skills! You use humor perfectly and appropriate to engage the classroom.
    Great job and thank you very much!

1. Thank you, Artem and Sabrina! You also did a great job in teach-in 2! I think your comment is very important to me, since you have already finished your teach-in. And I really like the way you constructed your presentation, it is clear and easy to understand. I think I will make several changes based on your suggestions if I have the chance to do it again.

5. Sabrina I have to say I am now a fan of yours, because you completed this Teach-In session all by yourself. I really enjoy to be a audience of your presentation. I like the funny pictures of the politicians and celebrities. I think it draws our attention and you also explained the different terms very well, that I can easily take notes and learned it in the same time. By giving us the debate on the privacy issues, we had a chance to talk with our squad, and switch our opinion as well. You also introduced the Nobel Peace Prize Aung San Suu Kyi, what a great story of her, and after I have seen the movie Trailer. I would like to watch that film on her sometimes.Thank you for the wonderful experience on Thursday, Awesome job my classmate!

1. Although you mix up my name with Sabrina’s, still, thank you, Alan. When I was preparing for the tech-in, I was really afraid of make you guys feel boring, since the articles are related to politisc. So I involved in a lot of images and pictures.

6. Hi Mingyu,
    It is so great of you to complete the teach in 3 by yourself, which greatly encourage me because I am going to finish teach in 6 by myself. I learnt a lot from your teach in. It contained a lot of information which make your teach in plentiful. The examples you used to illustrate the standpoint were really interesting and helpful. The pictures and the videos were funny. Particularly, you did well to make every student participant in the class.
    Your design of the debate about whether candidates’ personal life should be open to the public is really amazing. It make students to discuss, to think, to understand.
    Also, it is so successful of you to make a serious topic, politics interesting. Good job!

1. Thank you, Chenny! I would love to see that you like my presentation! It is kind of stressful to prepare an hour presentation by yourself. But once you begin to prepare 2 weeks ahead, you will be fine. And also have a good luck in your presentation too!