20 thoughts on “PPTS for the Teach-IN 2”

1. Great job, you set a great example for the rest of us. The use of chocolate was a great way to encourage class involvement. Both of you seemed very comfortable in front of the class and had good public speaking skills. You also had great videos that related directly to the articles.

Be careful of misspellings and grammar corrections on you ppt. During the presentation, the pp slides should always be displayed full screen. I would suggest both students staying at the front of the room during the full presentation. It’s a great way to show support for your partner. Perhaps split up the presentation time and content more evenly.

I now have a much better understanding of cyborgs and cyberfeminism. I also now have knowledge of the male gazing theory, which is a very creative way to approach the “Office Machine, Office Wife” article. I also learned about the concept of Aura, however I don’t quite understand how the theory of Aura relates to the articles we read.

The idea of simulacra was also foreign to me. While there was a great deal of research done for this presentation, I still don’t have a full understanding of this concept. Perhaps more connections to the articles or more examples of uses in the real world would have been helpful.
    Great job Guys!

1. Thanks Nikki for your comment! I tried to emphasize the role of simulacra in a postmodern world and tried to demonstrate how women use the idea of simulacra! However, i understand that i could provide more examples of it.

2. Hey Nikki,thank you for your comment! I will check whether my PPT has misspellings and grammar mistakes.I Know the concepts of Aura and simulacra are abstract and difficult to understand in our readings and I totally understand that my partner Artem did his best explaining these definitions.I should cooperated with him with more examples and explainations.

1. Hi Sabrina,

If possible you can respond to everyone by making a new comment. In this case, you can save time. A lot of people have similar points so you can address them at once.

Micky

2. Hey Nikki.For my previous reply ,the last sentense”I should cooperated with him with more examples and explainations.” is wrong.The right sentense is “I should have cooperated with him with more examples and explainations.

2. Well done guys! I really love this presentation.

The video clip in the very first beginning of the presentation is a good idea to raise attention. The following questions, which are also great, since they keep us thinking and talking about the articles we read not only in this week but also last week, then make a connection of them. So they help me to understand the definitions more. The chocolates are also very nice by the way. Slow speed presentation for these difficult definitions is another good point of this presentation. I can keep up and have time for note taking. Good examples given in “Male Gaze” part, which are related to our daily life or someone we all know but not from the reading, really help me to know “Male Gaze” better.

Though I would like to point out some shortcomings of this presentation. I think more time (maybe five minutes) for the in-class writing would be better for us to finish the assignment. And some more lead questions for the cyborg part may help us to understand more about the definition. Also, I don’t quite understand the Aura part in this presentation, maybe some more examples will help more. I realize there’s a failure in connecting simulacra to cyber feminism.

I would like to say that you guys really set a good example for others~ Thank you.

1. Hello, Xinyi. Thanks for your comment. If your remember in the article Super Dupa Fly, the author states how Madona in the 80s portray her aura through her image. I wanted to elabore this idea.

1. Hi Artem,

You can wait till all the comments are here before writing your responses. That will save you from writing multiple times.

Micky

2. Hey Xinyi,I am wondering whether we could add more minutes for in-class writing,you may ask Micky for your teach-in next time.I should have given you an overview of connecting simulacra to cyber feminism.

3. The Teach-In two on Techno-Feminism and Cyborg was conducted by Artem and Sabrina, and they both proved that they knew the information well that they were presenting. In the beginning of the presentation, after showing the video (which I believe captured the audience’s attention, hence serving as a hook for their presentation) the team did not have a monotonous voice, and she projected her voice well. The team also engaged the audience by asking questions about the readings, and if the student answered the question correctly, they were rewarded with candy. I believe that the reward tactic benefits the overall presentation because the students will be more likely to listen and want to respond to questions, and just that happened during this presentation. The Powerpoint was also set up neatly, and they seemed to have an example for every new concept they introduced. For example, when Artem showed Missy Elliot as a simulacrum.

Although the presentation was done well, I believe there are some things they could have done to strengthen the presentation. The first thing I noticed was the presentation was done in a lecture fashion, with powerpoints to display their findings. They did have the couple of videos that the team showed throughout the presentation, but I believe they could have been more diverse in the way they set up the teach-in. For example, maybe have the audience become more involved and act out one of the concepts spoken about, or made one of the concepts into a game. Another aspect i noticed was that Sabrina sat down during Artem’s part of the presentation, and i believe that she should have stood up there with him for support of the team.

An overall great job, and a lot of valuable information and concepts presented.

1. Hey amandae,playing a name during our teach-in is really a good suggestion,if we had have more time to prepare our teach-in(you know,we have a great many of assignments in this semester),we would make up a funny game and get the class more involved.I thought I would have nothing to say after my presentation ,so I chose to sit down and give Artem support through eye contact and smile.Well,Standing up there with him is an effective support,thank you so much for your suggestion.

4. I thought Sabrina and Artem did a nice job with their presentations. Their speaking was exceptionally clear, they were calm and collected, and they demonstrated a relatively proficient understanding of the concepts they discussed. Sabrina did a good job contextualizing cyber-feminism within the traditions of feminism and post-feminism, which was helpful, and Artem did a great job covering concepts that weren’t explained in the class readings—for example, connecting “male gaze” to the typewriter article was a good way to frame the concept, and the music video selection was a great example to show.

I do agree with Nikki and Amanda that the overall lesson would have benefited from being more integrated, although I understand that this was the first partnered teach-in and that splitting the work probably seemed easier than preparing a joint lesson plan. The lesson also would have benefited from more concrete examples illustrating the abstract concepts that were being discussed—maybe a couple more examples of cultural phenomena that cyber-feminist thought might explore, as well as a clearer connection between the readings and the concepts of aura and simulacra. The introductions to these concepts were quite good but could have gone into just a bit more detail to solidify the class’s understanding.

Finally, there were moments in the lesson when generalizations were made about gender—I think it’s important to be careful about how we talk about such generalizations, especially in a gender communication class. It’s easy to sound like we agree with the generalizations when really what we’re doing is talking about the nature/validity of those generalizations.

Overall, Sabrina and Artem did a great job pioneering the way for future teach-ins!

1. Hey alauver,thank you for your comment!Each of us has illustrated the concepts of Cyberfeminism,aura and simulacra seperately and I believed you can understand their relation with each other through our presentation.However,if I had have given a connection among them at the end of our teach-in,that would have been better.

5. You guys really did a great job. I can see you spent a lot time on preparing for this presentation. Especially, English is your second language, but you two really had good public speaking skills.
    As I concern, raising questions during the teach-in is a great way to interact with classmates, to get our attentions, to let us think. Also, giving chocolates is a good idea to encourage students.
    Although those concepts are a little bit hard to understand, after Artem and Sabrina showing the Power point and video to us, I feel it is much easier for me to understand. For instance, concept of cyborg thoery, aura, and simulacra, now I know how they are related to technology. And I also have a sense about how “male gaze” is used in advertising and cinematography.
    Meanwhile, some of the tech-in content is related to those three reading articles, but is not the mean idea of the articles. Concidering the tech-in is about 60 minutes, i feel a little bit overwhelmed, I think is becuase Sabrina and Artem tried to let us know as much knowledge as we can. And also the rhythm, sometime is a little bit slow, and sometime is a little bit fast.
    All in all, you guys did a good job and set a great example for the rest of us.

1. Hey Mingyu,thank you for your comment.You mentioned about the rhythm,maybe my rhythm was a little bit slow,because I spoke slowly in order to let the whole class get a better understanding of Cyberfeminism through my presentation.Besides, I totally understand speaking slowly is necessary for us especially for international students to listen and take note in class.I think Artem spoke quicker than me,I should have considered the difference of our speed.

6. Teach-in 2 was very good at expanding on concepts: The concept of cyborg as a tool for philosophical thinking, cyber-feminism, aura, simulacra (Missy Elliott as simulacra; simulacrum as beauty), and the male gaze.
    Sabrina presented cyber-feminism very well, and Artems’ presentation of the male gaze was great. It was interesting to see that a video intended for female viewers (Reebook EasyTone) also contained the male gaze.
    While I gained a good understanding of Simulacra, Aura was not clear to me and as Nikki mentioned, I also do not see how it ties in with the reading.

On the dark side:
    I disagree with the notion that there are no (or few) male cyborgs, but that is a small point. The statement that women are emotional and irrational did not quite fit. Regrettably, Lil’ Kim was not mentioned.

From a more general point of view I believe that the presentation would have benefitted from moving at a slightly faster pace. The chocolate was a nice touch and a good motivator.
    Perhaps the teach-in could be improved if students are asked to comment on a particular aspect of a video before the video is shown. This leaves more time to form an opinion and might result in stronger participation.
    Without a doubt the Teach-In 2 has deepened my understanding of the readings (except for the reading on technoscience).
    Thank you Sabrina and Artem!

1. Shirin, great point about male cyborgs. Can you provide some examples. I only can remember Michael Jackson and George Michael as cyborgs acting in their video clips. But, as you know George Michael is a gay and Michael Jackson was a male artist who enjoyed to demonstrate his inner feminity.

7. Hey shirin,thank you for your comment. As you mentioned about the participation aspect of video,I did ask questions of the video and the class answered them well.However,I admit comments on the video are necessary too.

8. Thank you guys for your comments!
    That is great that almost all of you enjoyed Sabrina’s part and my parts about Simulacra and Male gaze! However, i found that my “Aura” part was not clear and relevant to the class readings. I agree that i failed to tie the idea of “Aura” with cyber-feminism for 100%. In the future, I will definitely pay more attention on how my topics can be directly related to the class readings.