7 thoughts on “Teach-In 7 Powerpoint: Women’s Movements & Feminism”

1. Hi Amanda and Mark,
    You did a good job in your teach in. You explained the three wave of feminism and Hooks’ understanding of feminism.
    First, your assessment was really creative and useful. Different from anyone else’s assessment, the form of multiple choice was very effective. We had to fully prepare for the assessment rather than guessing the question. After finishing the assessment, it was obvious that we had understand the main points of the readings. Particularly, I was looking for answers for the assessment from your teach in to see whether my answer was correct.
    Second, you made the authors opinions much more clear by presenting the related and interesting videos. It was kind of difficult for me to identify three waves of feminism before your teach in, you explained them well.
    Also, the discussion part was well designed, which made all the students participate in the class. It would be better if more students had presented the results of their discussion in class. The explanation of the discussion results was not enough.
    Finally, your did the teach in a very confident style. You prepared for the presentation well and had eye contact with all the students all through, which made your teach in more effective.
    Overall, your teach in was amazing and i love that!

2. Hey my dear friend Amanda and Mark, you guys did a wonderful job on presenting teach in 7. Throughout the presentation I understand more about the three waves of feminism and understanding of feminism from the pictures and videos you guys provided.
    At the beginning of the class, I was surprised that we all receive multiple choices format of the assessment. I found it was very creative and much better since we don’t have to write bunch of the words that should included the five key words. And I thought the questions were fairly easy, I found the answer choices really quickly after read through the two articles.
    I also like the interesting group discussion about examples of mass media of feminism or the feminist movement. We went though the different topic of feminist this semester, and our group came up with a few ladies. Such as Ellen, Opera, and the women from the sex and the City. I believe they are all suitable as answers. And I also think it’s a little bit of rewind excise on things we learned from the past classes.
    I like the videos and pictures examples which reflect the progress of the three waves of feminism. Which I found very interesting that what were the people was think about back in the half century ago. And you guys also pointed out the key points from the reading. Which I was having a little bit trouble understanding some of the contents. So, with following though your slides and your description made me understand more clearly.
    In overall, I think you guys did a awesome job for our last teach in in this course.

3. Mark and Amanda, you two did a great job. I like your innovative idea of in-class writing, multiple choice, which is a good way to exam our understanding about the readings. Your presentation was clear and gave us various examples and comprehensive explanations of feminism, sexism, racism, classism and oppression. The video clips were used appropriately and related to each main idea closely which attracted more attention among us. After watching the video clips of Liz Lemon is Liberal, Sister Suffragette and Equal Pay, I could find their characteristics of feminism on the TV show. According to your presentation, now I know the reasons why women advocated feminism movement, the characteristics of the three waves of feminism and also learn more points of women’s liberation. In addition, The PowerPoint slides were displayed well and also helped us in understanding the essences of feminism and its related. The last PPT slide which showed a picture of women concluded your topic clearly and helped us understand more about the concepts.

There is only one tiny point you need to improve. For the interaction part, you two also conducted an interesting discussion of examples regarding feminism or the feminist movement all over the world. However, in fact, we still had more answers about this question .Therefore, if you gave us enough time and concluded broader ideas about this topic that would be great.

Overall, the various and interesting examples you showed to us were helpful and explained well. Good job.

4. Hey, Mark and Amanda you did a good job. Thank you for the great presentation you gave us on Friday. It is really impressive.
    I love the way you organized your presentation, and also the assessment that you gave us before the teach-in is really helpful. I can see that you did a great deal of preparation before the teach-in, because the main points you want to discuss were elaborated really well and the videos you showed on the class are highly related to the reading articles. Some of the video are really funny, and it is a great way to grab students’ attentions.
    As I went back to the Power Points to evaluation your teach-in, I can still remember almost every word you said. You not only pointed out the differences between each Wave of feminism movements, but also highlighted the final goals of these three Waves. Beyond that you write the features of the each wave, making it easier for us to distinguish them. By using tons of pictures, you helped us visualize the environment of the time. And I totally agree with your final statement that the feminist movement is important, because it called attention to exploitation and oppression of women globally; the movement became a political struggle to end sexist oppression and an effort to end all oppression.
    Once again, this is a great presentation.

5. Hi guys,
    Really liked your presentation. From the beginning of the presentation you made the audience aware about the topic. You asked us to think about some women who might represent the feminist movement. First, I was a little bit confuced since it was hard to remember any. However, I found it much more easier when i tried to connect the ideas of feminism with the everyday life. This discussion assignment really helped me to understand the feminist movement.
    Second, all the video clips perfectly complement the presentation. Visual from different time periods fully describe 3 waves of feminist movement. Third, the information presented in slides is very concise. I can easily say that I learnt a lot from what was written on each slide.
    However, some of your slides were very complicated to understand. For instance, the part about Racism could be more explained. For example, you could say more about racism in different countries.
    Really liked your presentation. Liked how you split the roles and how you presented. It feels that you really know the topic. Great job!

6. Hey guys,
    Thank you for all the positive and constructive feedback. First off, I am glad that you guys learned from the way we had set up our assessment. We wanted to be creative and little different from the other teach-ins by providing a multiple choice feedback. Sabrina, I had not realized we did not give you guys enough time for the discussion part, I will take that into consideration for future presentations to make sure to give everyone enough time to successfully deliver answers during group discussion. Artem,we definitely focused on racism only in the United States, and it would have been a good idea to discuss racism from all around the world, so thank you for that suggestion. The reason why we focused on racism in the United States is because the Hook article has a focus on racism, classism and sexism particularly in the United States and connecting it to periods in U.S. history such as the Seneca Falls Convention. But again there are many international students in the class so we could have added a bullet or two to explain racism further.
    Chenny, Alan, and Mingyu it makes me happy that the slides were clear to you, and that it helped you understand our teach-in more thoroughly. Learning ideas through visual displays of pictures, words and even videos helps one understand the subject the best in presentations, and Mark and I tried to utilize that.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, and glad that everyone overall understood our teach-in well!

-Amanda Eisnor

7. Everyone,
    I am happy you enjoyed our teach-in and that Amanda and I were able to keep you interested in learning about the feminist movement on a Friday night. Earlier this summer when deciding to go back to graduate school, my initial plan was to become high school history teacher, so this was a fun way to integrate a history lesson into our class.

During our teach-in, we focused on the information in the text that we felt was key in understanding the readings. With a limited amount of time, we tried to be precise while still including important facts. The videos that we showed were selected for their high entertainment value while also remaining relevant to the feminist movement, so I am glad that you all found them fun and informative.

Most of you found the group discussion helpful in connecting the readings to the real world. From my observation, it appeared to be more of groups were creating a list, rather than discussing examples and providing some context, so it might have been better to start as a class discussion instead of breaking the class into groups. We did cut the discussion a bit short not realizing some of you had more examples to share, which is great. I am glad the activity got everyone to apply what we had read to examples in the media.

Overall, I enjoyed the teach-in process and working with Amanda. I am pleased that we were able to keep your attention and interest throughout the class.

Thanks,
    Mark