6 thoughts on “Amanda Analysis Paper 3: Calm and Compassionate Child”

1. Amanda, you provide a great outline and description of the book. I really like the idea of raising your child in an environment with a positive attitude, love and of course music. I agree with the idea of talking through issues with your child instead of using corporal punishment. I find your statement, “just because women are calm and compassionate doesn’t mean they cannot have personal power “a very interesting and empowering idea.
    You make a great connection between the book and Third Wave feminism; however one suggestion would be to define what Third Wave feminism is. Stating a solid definition may demonstrate a stronger link between the two. Be careful of just a few grammatical errors throughout the paper.
    When linking the book to voice and gender, you could provide a stronger connection when discussing the chapter on “The Power of Story”, as discussed in your paper, to the Rakow and Wackwitx article and their view on how important storytelling is to women. In particular their section titled “stories” contains a lot of information you could have incorporated.
    The layout of the paper is extremely organized and you certainly meet all of the sections laid out in the requirements. Job well done!

2. In Amanda’s analysis paper, she gives me enough information and statistics of this book, while she states clearly about the main point that parents and teachers should treat children positively and teach the child that everyone should be treated equally.

The major arguments of each article are deduced and applied correctly and each analysis relates to the book closely. Voice and Gender are interpreted in a positive manner throughout this book.In addition, Amanda gives a good linkage with second and third wave. For instance, she says “women has their personal power, conviction, and to stand up for what they believe in” which is connected to the third wave feminism that indicates women are capable, strong and assertive social agents. Also, Amanda cites many contents from the book which gives us clearer depiction and better explanation to understand her analysis.
    There are only two points you should improve. First point is the citation format. You should add the year behind each author in your citation format. Second point is the grammar error you should pay more attention.

Overall, the organization of this article is clear and easy to understand. I think Amanda’s paper is both excellent in giving us good examples and appropriate analyses in parenting analysis.

3. Hi Amanda. This paper is well structed, clear analysed and easy to understand.

After the book introduction, I became really curious about how this calm parenting can be related to feminism.
    You used the genral idea of the book—parents working together to raise kids to connect this parenting style to Hooks’ feminism idea— to eradicate sexism. Example here is the music exercise.
    Furthermore, you related the book’s idea “create a positive definition of feminism” to Hooks’ idea ending sexist oppression. This is a really great analyze. It shows that you understand the feminism idea deeply, not just superficially.
    “Personal power” is another point you used to relate to feminist idea in the paper. I really like the way you analyzd calm women– they are calm does not mean they cannot speak up for themselves. The analysis here makes the connection between the book—calm mothers and third wave feminism idea strong and convencing.
    You used the idea— gender equal to analyze voice and gender in the last part of the paper. However I think in this part, you need more analysis to make it convencing.

Overall, great paper!

4. Hi Amanda, I think you did a fantastic job on your analysis paper 3. You provide a concise description of the book and great amount of information and number in your paper. After reading your introduction I feel like I learn a lesson that I should use a nature way to teach the kids in the future, instead of strict approach to parenting. I believe in that way not only kids will be taught in the positive way and as a parent , it would be feeling bad to punish the kids in the wrong way. I also think you did a good job on connecting between the book and third way feminism that music can actually calm and relieve people with the blow breathing. You also grasp the idea that eradicate sexism, and you found in your book, the author always seems to use the gender neutral words and thats a great example of showing respect to sexism. I also think you explain and well connected with the idea of personal power with first wave of feminism. Because I also agree that the important of women and they should stand up for what they believe in the strong and positive manner. The voice part seems a solid connection to the book as well, I like the example from “Recommend read alouds” because I also believe child should state their opinion and communicate more with their peers as well. Overall, I think this paper is very well organized and its fulfill with great content and people can get your idea easily, just there are some grammatical errors and I thought you have to be proofreading next time. Again awesome job by you and I enjoy reading this paper

5. Hi Amanda,
    You choose a very interesting book, giving me some new knowledge. While many parenting books focus on teaching parent how to raise kids, the target audience of your book includes teachers, which demonstrate parenting from another perspective. The videos you showed in class helped me better understand your analysis.
    You explained Hooks’ idea in two different ways, which makes your opinion thoroughly analyzed. However, the second connection between the book and Hook’s idea is not clear enough. You wanted to connect Hooks’ concept of “sexist oppression ends” to “An even more subtle type of personal power is the power to help others through positive energy”. I don’t think the connection between them is clear. Maybe you can use more examples to analyze.
    Also, you can try to expand your last section, which is “Conclude how the type of feminism is related to voice and gender.” You didn’t focus on the type of feminism very much, which makes you analysis a little weak.
    Overall, the paper is a very organized one. You followed the guideline, making you analysis very logical and easy to read. However, some sections seems too long while other sections seems too short. Adjusting them makes your paper better.

6. Amanda, your presentation of the book is quite thorough. You do a good job explaining what the author wants and envisions. Your comment on how personal power begins with first wave feminism and continues on to the second and third wave is great. Your analyses are good and the examples that you give are interesting. However, some examples don’t connect themselves strongly enough to the concept of second and third wave feminism. Some of this is due to the book.
    The author’s use of Mother Teresa as an example is really rough. I also wonder whether the author assumed that young boys and girls will respond equally to this particular parenting style. To me the idea of trying to turn a child into a calm and compassionate Zen master is a little creepy. Children test out how much power they have and how much they can misbehave. With this parenting style the possibilities are endless. Perhaps the book’s focus on keeping a child calm at all times takes away the child’s voice? There are a few typos in the paper, but they are negligible. Good job, Amanda!