5 thoughts on “Teach In Powerpoint Week 13-Motherhood”

1. Moss and Adam,

Your presentation was overall excellent. Both of you exhibited strong public speaking skills which include the following: Strong eye contact, loud, clear and projected voice, and finally you utilized your space around the room. Both of you stayed up in the front of the room for support, and referred to notes on you iPad rather than reading directly from the screen. I liked that after the both of you would read from the powerpoint, you would add a few of your own sentences to explain the point further without looking at anything, and that shows that you both read and understood the material that you were presenting. For example, when Adam gave Rakow and Wackwitz definition of Voice, he related it to Ariel losing her voice to Ursela, and explained why this was a good connection to voice before and after the video.
    One shortcoming of your presentation is it looked as though Adam did one part (voice) and Moss did another,(motherhood) and that made it seem like two separate presentations instead of one universal teach-in. My suggestion would to just be incorporate your slides together and have one universal theme so that both of you can speak multiple times instead of both of you speaking once about your separate parts of the presentation. This will help with the overall flow of your future presentations.
    I thought the last slide wrapped up the presentation well because it gave an overview of voice and motherhood in three bulleted points. That was a good way of brining your separate parts together, and just try to do that throughout slides in the future.

2. Adam and Moss,
    You guys did great during your teach-in on motherhood. You were very well prepared and it was clear that your experience in public speaking helped make your presentations easy to understand.

Adam – It was very helpful that you included Wackwitz and Rakow’s definition of voice early in the presentation. Your inclusion of the co-cultural and muted group theories really strengthened your presentation on voice. Having read the same article, I agreed with how you associated those theories with the assigned readings on voice. I also really liked that you included a handout and a class discussion to identify examples of co-cultural practices in the Foss and Domenici article.

Moss – Your explanation of how entrepreneurial mothers are using social media and creating avatars was well formulated. I thought you did very well identifying the similarities between the concepts discussed Nakamura and Edley articles. I really liked the Hungry Games video as a fun example that provided relevant comic relief to the topics you were presenting.

Overall, I think your teach-in was well organized and informative. I would have liked to see more continuity between the two sections of the teach-in presentation, but think you both did good work on your individual sections.

3. Great presentation! Thanks Moss and Adam!

I really like your team. You are confident. You have strong eye contact, loud and clear voice when speak in front of class.

The well structured presentation contains and explains lots of ideas in the class reading. Not only did it help me to understand how voice informed feminist theory, but also help me gain a better idea about muted group theory and co-culture theory, which are both brand new theories for me. The handout is really helpful in explaining the communicative strategies. In addition, the question about what strategies did “Mothers” use is a good connection between the theory and the reading. By the way, the little mermaid video clip and the daily show are both good chioce to show the importance of “voice”. The video clips in “Motherhood” part are interesting, too. Especially the hungry games one. It shows how hard it is for wome in the family to balance and gain control of their life.

My only suggestion for you is to connect the second part “Motherhood” a little bit more to the theories—“muted group theory” and “co-culture theory” in the first part.
    Overall, it is a wonderful presentation, we learned something from the reading but above the reading.

4. Amanda,

I’m glad that you enjoyed our presentation. We found that using the tablet to present to the class was a better idea than just reading off of the slides because we felt it would be more effective. In regards to Adam and I doing separate presentations, I do agree that we could have combined the concepts more cohesively. I did my best in the presentation of motherhood to incorporate the concept of voice when saying that women want control over their voice, image, job, and family. Thank you for the advice, I will be sure to combine concepts better in future presentations.

Mark,

I’m glad that you enjoyed our teach-in. I tried to incorporate some humor into the presentation which is why I felt the hunger games spoof was a good idea. As I said to Amanda, I will combine idea better in future presentations. Thank you for your feedback.

Xinyi,

Thank you for the compliments, we do both enjoy public speaking. I’m glad that you found our teach-in interesting. The hunger games video was a good way to show how mothers sometimes need to take a break from their busy lives in order to enjoy some alone time. Good advice on connecting motherhood to muted and co-culture theories, I didn’t really think to do that. Thank you for the feedback on our teach-in.

5. Hey guys,

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the feedback! Moss and I felt good about the presentation and I’m glad you all did too. I agree that we could have made the whole presentation feel more cohesive. Given more time, Moss and I definitely would have tried to connect everything more clearly. I’m not actually sure that Muted Group Theory and Co-Cultural Theory would necessarily have helped to elucidate the Avatar and Entrepreneur articles–I connected them with Wackwitz & Rakow and Foss & Domenici because they fit especially well with those articles–but I do agree that Moss and I could have consulted with each other more about how to connect the whole presentation back to the concept of voice. I do hope you all came away from our teach-in with a more solid understanding of the concept of voice and can apply it to other articles and ideas you come across in the future!

Adam