6 thoughts on “Chenny Analysis 3: Raising great kids on your own”

1. Chenny,

This is an outstanding paper. I can see some real progress in your writing skills from the beginning of the semester. I found this paper to be clear, well-thought-out, and easy to understand. you made some some really interesting points. Your point about the author’s use of “you” instead of “he/she” being a way to establish equity between males and females is a good one. You also make some good connections between single parents’ situations and the Edley article about working from home.

I especially appreciated your attempt at accommodating both second-wave and third-wave feminism in your discussion of gender neutrality. You point out that, while third-wave transfeminism embraces the differences between gender, second-wave feminist thought still applies in that, regardless of their differences, men and women are equally capable of being good single parents according to the book.

Again, fantastic paper. There are a few grammatical and stylistic errors here and there, but there is a lot of evidence of critical thought on your part and you make a lot of really good points. Great job!

Adam

2. Chenny, after reading your analysis paper three, now I have the knowledge about how to raise kids with better behavior and how to communicate with their kids effectively.

You did a great job analyzing the book main point on raising good kids by single parent with the concept“Voice” in Wackwitz’s article and feminist communication theory in Rakow’s article clearly. Also, the relevant citations of the book and ideas of the second and third wave feminism are appropriate and easy to understand. According to your paper, I know the difficult situations that single parents have to face, and it is obvious that even though the difference of single parents form two parents can be seen, they still stick to raise their children as best as they can and are welling to talk about their experience of raising children.

There is only one tiny thing you should pay attention, in your article, you mention CIGNA is a global health service company. However, if you tell us the full name of this organization that would be better.

All in all, your paper is organized well and gives me a good sense of what the body text of article is about. Good job.

3. Hi Chenny, I think you did a awesome job on analysis paper three, it is very concise and well organized. After the first introduction paragraph, I think now I know I have grasp the some tips, such as save some budget in the future and how to communicate with kids for a single parent, if the marriage does not go well for me in the future. I also think that you integrated the theory of second wave feminist and third wave feminist with your point of equality well. Especially, the part you mentioned author insist to use “you” to indicate the female and male single parent, and those are real good example of equality. I also like the part you mentioned voice connect with the difference between a normal parents and single parents, single parents doesn’t have the choice and they have to sacrifice for their kids and do the best thing for the family. I am also glad that there is a organization like GIGNA can help single parents in many ways, wether to give them support or sharing the valuable information. Overall, I think this is a fantastic paper that consist with wonderful ideas to single parents.

4. Chenny, you have written an overall good paper, and I enjoyed reading it. Your introduction clearly explains what the book is about, but I think it would have been more beneficial to lengthen your introduction and give an overview of main points more.

It isn’t easy being a single parent, and you explain well the ways in which to become a better parent/ how to handle raising children.

Your relation to 2nd and 3rd wave feminism is well written, but you need to expand on how 2nd and 3rd wave feminism relates to single fathers. Good job relating to voice and entrepreneurial mothers as well. Your paper does have some grammatical errors and track changes that need to be fixed, but overall you did a good job on your paper!

5. Hello Chenny, I would like to say this is a great paper.
    This paper is clear structed, easy to understand and well analyzed.

Targeting single parents who want to raise kids, the book tried to teach parents how to raise good children while be good parents at the same time. You connected the book to both second and third wave feminism. Second-wave feminists emphasizes equality and the end of oppression, while third-wave feminists generally see themselves as capable, strong, and assertive social agents. I like that you gave reasons and examples clearly: female and male single parents are discussed equally, the author states no discrimination and oppression towards single parent, the book admited gender difference in some parts. You successfully related the book to Edley’s article using the working condition of single parents. In the last part, you related to the idea “voice is heard because they admit their difference” again, which I think is really great to make the paper as a whole.

Well done!

6. Chenny, I think you chose a great book and the concept of improving the parent -not just the way the parent raises the child- is refreshing. The subject of raising a child by oneself brings up many good points to think about, although at times I was surprised by how many issues the book tackled. I almost expected to see a “constructing a great house on your own” chapter. This book is definitely different from other books.
    Despite occasional grammar mishaps you write with clarity and precision. Your paper is very organized and you connect paragraphs seamlessly. You explain clearly how the authors’ way of addressing single moms and dads shows gender neutrality and you relate it well to 2nd wave feminism. Your explanation of transfeminism was insightful! I like how you oppose the concept of transfeminism to the 2nd wave feminism neutrality in the book. I also like your statement that the book in-and-of itself lends single parents a voice.
    Overall, you wrote a great paper, related the concepts very well and some of your insights were really original. Well done, Chenny!