3 thoughts on “Nikki: Analysis Paper 1 – Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City”

1. Nikki–

Your paper offers a solid introduction to the feminist and post-feminist themes found in Sex and the City. I have actually never seen Sex and the City, so your description taught me a lot. I didn’t realize that the show involved itself with issues of power/domination so directly, so your summary of the Brasfield article and the show’s approach to “hegemonic social structure” was definitely informative.

There are a few mechanical errors in your paper that could be solved by more proofreading—for example, I spotted a couple instances where you used the singular “woman” when you meant to use the plural “women.” The paper could also benefit from a bit more of an explanation of post-feminist theory and why it’s an appropriate lens for understanding the show as opposed to other forms of feminism.

I was confused by the point where you said that post-feminist women would frown upon the idea of using sexuality to advance in society, as it seems to contradict your earlier point that Carrie represents a lot of post-feminist ideals. I think both of those points could be unpacked a bit more to help clarify what you’re saying.

Overall this draft is definitely an improvement on the first draft that I read in class. In particular, your addition of specific examples from the episodes you watched is very helpful. Well done.

2. Nikki,
    I love the show, too! I’ve watched it several times so I have the background information to help me understand your paper.

First you state the importance of this show and give a clear
    outline of Carrie, who is bold, strong, open-minded and willing to speak out. And then fit her into “new, new woman” role, clinged her to stereotypical portrayals of woman and give examples which is very easy to understand. The article “Rereading Sex and the City” stereotyping all of the female leads in the show, which is quite new and gives me a really different standpoint to see these women. But I can hardly find the connection of the three articles(maybe I missed it in the paper?).

Also, I think it will be more interesting to look deeper in this character but not just define her as some roles mentioned in our reading.

The presentation really helps me a lot to understand your paper more! Great paper and presentation!

3. Nikki, you write clearly and effortlessly, so it was a pleasure reading your paper! I have watched almost every episode of Sex and the City. It is a great show to analyze because the show itself explores the various power dynamics between men and women. Your introduction gives any reader a good understanding of the show. The term post-feminism can have more than one meaning, and you explain which of the postfeminist attributes Carrie depicts.

I like that you use the Carlin & Winfrey (2009) article to analyze Carrie’s role as that of seductress / sex object, while still pointing out that she does not restrict herself to that particular role. As you said, she simply employs every tactic to get what she wants. You mention that most postfeminist women would frown upon using our sexuality in order to advance in our society. I think you mean feminist women, instead of post-feminist women.

The peer-reviewed article by Brasfield (2007) is a good analytical tool but some of the information on the other characters in Sex and the City is perhaps not necessary.

Overall I think your choice of articles is very good. One shortcoming I did notice is that you dedicate more space to explaining and logically positioning the articles- which is tremendously helpful, but I would have loved reading more about your thoughts and analysis of Carrie’s character.