Assessment-5 Questions

Greetings classmates,

Please read all 3 readings required for Week  8.

The assessment will start at the beginning of class. It is an open-note assessment. You will have 15 minutes to complete the in-class writing. You may hand in prepared notes.

2-3 short sentences per question.

For reading number one, Youna Kim (1.a)What does the author mean by becoming re-nationalized and re-essentialized?

For reading number two, Madianou & Miller (2) What are the positive and negative aspects of mobile phone parenting from the children’s perspective?

For reading number three, Wanning Sun (3) Please describe the politicized figure of the Chinese maid in America. (1.b) What is the dynamic between China and the U.S.?

Thank you,

Shirin and Alan.

6 thoughts on “Assessment-5 Questions”

1. This was an exceptional presentation. Shirin and Alan paced the presentation well, spoke clearly, and made effective use of the Powerpoint format. They showed relevant and provocative videos, in particular the domestic helper “applicant” video, which really helped bring the class closer to the lived experience of the women that we read about. They did a nice job facilitating class discussion, giving plenty of chances for students to respond to questions but keeping the presentation going at those times when the class didn’t have as much to say. They also did a nice job connecting the three articles at the end of their presentation and, in general, encouraging the class to explore the broader ideas behind the things we were discussing. I found the presentation particularly helpful in clarifying the “Maid as Metaphor” article–I learned a lot about the social realities faced by domestic workers and their significance to the concept of “difference.”

The only weakness of the presentation, I feel, is that I didn’t quite see a connection between the first few video clips/examples and the concepts of gender and difference. While these clips were indeed helpful in giving an overall cultural context for what we’d be discussing, I think the presentation could have benefited from being a bit more explicit about the goal of showing those particular clips and transitioning from them more smoothly into the discussion of the articles.

Other than that one tiny nitpick, I thought this was a great presentation. Well done!

2. Hello guys,
    I really enjoyed the presentation. Especially, I enjoyed the slides about mobile parenting and immigrants. Shirin and Alan demonstrated good presentation skills. Moreover, Shirin and Alan encouraged students to participate actively by asking them very interesting questions. For instance, the slide about differences between children and mothers in mobile parenting phenomenon helped me to understand the problem more deeply.
    I also want to say that video about the migration trend in Philippines was very informative. This particular video clip perfectly supplements the reading material about mobile phone parenting. Lastly, Shirin and Alan made their presentation consice and clear. The slides were simple and at the same time very informative. There were no misleading information in their presentation.
    However, I feel that the part about Gangnam Style, Super Junior, The Chinese version of the Voice show and “Naver.Com” was a little bit irrelevant. I did not understand how Gangnam style video clip explains the concept of transnational migrants. Additionaly, Alan said that couches in the chinese version of the Voice show are more likely to be older that couches in original American version. I think that this idea could be enhanced more. For instance, that employment in China requires more mature professionals who are willing to work on TV.
    Overall, it was a great presentation with a perfect mix of video clips.

3. Hello Guys,
    I really enjoy your presentation. It was a funny and impressive presentation.
    There were several good points.
    First, Alan and Shirin did a good job in encouraging students to participate in the class. They designed many Q&A parts to make students perform more actively. The best part I think is the match game. The game well related to the article and bring a lot of fun to the class.
    Second, Alan and Shirin provide several video clips to the class which all support the reading material. I was impressed by one clip which is about migrant in Hong Kong. However, I also feel that the clips are kind of too much.
    The lecture Alan and Shirin provide in class were very informative. The slides were very clear, in which important points were emphasized and easy to read. They performed their presentation confidently.
    However, I feel that the first part of the presentation were not well explained and seemed had little relation to the whole presentation. The Gangnam Style clip, the introduction to Super Junior and the clip about Chinese “The voice” were kind of useless. Particularly, the Chinese Voice clip was in Chinese without translation, which could make US students feel confused.
    Overall, the teach in was good.

4. Well done Shirin and Alan, great presentation!

I would like to say it was an interesting presentation and I enjoyed it a lot. I saw you guys’ rehearsal that day, and the presentation in class really got better. I think one of the reasons was that you guys helped each other and supported each other(by standing in front of the class or helping each other explain some words or sentances) during the whole presentation. It was really good that you can benefit from your various culture background(like teaching each other some Chinese words). And one other good point was that during all the presentation, you kept asking questions and cared for class reaction. I noticed that you provided the own idea of “no men roles mentioned” in the article about mobile phone parenting, and it is really awsome for her to remind us something about gender issues in those articles. Also, the “before and after video” was quite good to explain the ideas mentioned in the article, and helped the class to know more about the worker’s life experience.

Here are some tips that might help to do the presentation better. For the Chinese video clips, maybe some english subtitles attached ones will be better for the classmates to understand. Also, maybe you guys can explain more of the “difference” in the Asian migrant women part.For example, I think some international students will definitely feel pushed away from the main stream American, maybe you can use yourself as an example, then it might be more easy to explain the point. It is just my own thoughts.

Anyway, it was a wonderful presentation!
    Thank you guys!

5. Thank you for all the comments from Artem, Chenny, Adam and Sendy, and my lovely Teammate Shirin as well. I felt lucky, because I found it’s really interesting to read the three articles about life of immigrants. And, I also feel bad for myself of the picking the videos and PPT slides introduction. I should have done a better job by providing the materials that are more related to the genders and differences between Eastern and Western society. I like all the suggestions above, most of you said that, the slides that I selected weren’t relevant to the reading of “Transnational Migration, Media and Identity of Asian Women”, I was hoping to give the class some ideas about what they care about for entertainment part of their life. Apparently, I should have done a getter job with giving more detail not just about entertainment part, but also the nationalism things like that. Sorry to let you down Shirin. I want you thank you all for the valuable suggestions and motivation. I will focus more on what I should the next time during the master years.

6. Thank you to everyone who has commented on the teach-in! I am very glad that overall you enjoyed the presentation and connected with the topic. Alan and I emphasized the integration of class participation during the preparation; it was fun and rewarding that you all participated so well!
    I agree with your observation that the beginning of the presentation seemed disconnected. I did not anticipate this, but I realize in hindsight that if Alan and I had shortened this part of the presentation, placed it at a different point and been more explicit about its purpose it would have integrated itself better (which is exactly what you suggested).
    I should have explained before viewing that our focus in the Chinese “The Voice” clip was not on the dialogue. This would have made the lack of translation less confusing.
    Thanks Alan for being a good teammate, and thank you for the positive praise as well as the contructive criticism from Adam, Artem, Chenny, and Xinyi!