Michelle Pergal, MAGD student, speaks on her summer internship with Artists for Humanity

This summer Graphic Design Masters student Michelle Pergal spent her time with young students and taught them design through the Artists for Humanity program. AFH is an organization that provides creative art projects for creative youth. It provides young artists with the unique opportunity of real client projects that matter, giving them a great head start.

Michelle helped out in the Graphics Department, which includes doing Graphic Design for professional clients. She worked with full time AFH employees and Boston high school students who are interested in the arts. The students were given a project by the National Grid that involved creating its community involvement brochure. Michelle worked with the students teaching them how to use Adobe InDesign and how to properly implement layout design and acted as a mentor for the students as they designed.

Michelle describes her experience:

“Working with the students was great. I loved working with the kids directly and learned a lot from them. They all struck me as being very well-informed and savvy. When I helped them out, they picked up on important concepts quickly.

It was a great real-world project to experience. Most people going into design don’t get that kind of exposure until they have started their career as adults, and these kids were the ones working on it as high-schoolers.

I could see myself in an environment like that in the future. I have always liked working with kids. They are inspirational and just fun to be around. It was awesome to be doing design, while at the same time working with and teaching kids, and being around a lot of other artists. Sometimes design seems like a solitary activity, but that is the furthest from the way things are at AFH. It is definitely a community, and there is never a dull moment.

I took away a lot from my experience there. Especially after this summer, I think what AFH is doing is absolutely crucial. All the kids that work there were so talented and invested, and without a place like that, they might not get to explore the arts as much as they do. Overall, I think there needs to be a dramatic increase in art resources for kids everywhere, and also more importance and validity attributed to it as an occupational choice. I think sometimes people don’t understand the incredible variety available to someone who decides to go into the arts as a career. I know I didn’t, or I probably would have done it to begin with.”

9 thoughts on “Michelle Pergal, MAGD student, speaks on her summer internship with Artists for Humanity”

1. What an inspiring read! It’s always heartwarming to hear about programs like AFH that empower young artists and give them real-world experience. Michelle’s dedication and the positive impact she’s had on these students is commendable. It’s true, many people don’t fully understand the breadth and depth of opportunities within the arts sector. On a related note, the value a good graphic designer brings in for example when designing a fitness app like Fitvee, ensuring it’s not only functional but visually appealing and user-friendly. This is just one of countless examples that underline the versatility and necessity of design in nearly every field. Thanks for sharing Michelle’s journey; it’s a timely reminder of the value of art education and mentorship.

2. Michelle Pergal, a dedicated MAGD student, recently shared insights from her enriching summer internship with Artists for Humanity. Amidst her creative endeavors, Michelle found time to explore the intersection of art and health, delving into unconventional topics like how to detox your liver. Her passion for holistic well-being seamlessly blended with her artistic pursuits, showcasing a unique synergy between creativity and a commitment to a healthier lifestyle. Michelle’s experience at Artists for Humanity not only enhanced her design skills but also broadened her perspective on the potential impact of art in promoting wellness.

3. Michelle Pergal, a MAGD student, recently shared insights on her summer internship with Artists for Humanity. She highlighted her experience integrating design principles into social impact projects. Pergal emphasized the importance of effective communication and collaboration, noting how her background in design and customer service, particularly at duo security customer service, enhanced her ability to engage with diverse stakeholders. Her internship provided invaluable hands-on experience in leveraging design for positive change in communities.

4. hey, I’m Ana Ashley and I did an internship in a company that offers the online payments terminal services at a meager cost which are useable for the business to get their success rate on a high level, and before that, I used to enjoy my summers or any holidays very well, with my colleagues and friends.