Don’t Worry – Myths About College Majors

* College major defines your career and is irreversible – the major you choose may provide a direction for the start of a career or you may decide to go another route.  And as your career evolves, there will be opportunities to shift gears, change direction, or grow professionally in your field.

* Changing your major will require additional semesters in school – generally, if you have committed to a major by no later than the end of your sophomore year, you should be able to graduate in the traditional four year time frame.  For students shifting into professional studies from a liberal arts background (i.e., Sociology major decided to pursue accounting), additional time (including summer classes) may be required.  Ultimately, if it’s the right move for you, an extra semester in school is a wise choice.

* There is only one right major for you – there are probably a number of majors that could be a good fit and they tend to have similar attributes (i.e., psychology and sociology, computer science and engineering, government and history, accounting and finance, etc.).   Another option to consider is choosing a major and a minor that complements your primary area of study (i.e. Communication major,marketing minor; Sociology major, Spanish minor)

* Your major determines what you can study in graduate school – most graduate school programs look more at your experience, undergraduate GPA, and scores on the standardized graduate admissions tests (i.e., GRE, LSAT, GMAT) than your specific major.  For example, plenty of liberal arts majors pursue MBA degrees.

4 thoughts on “Don’t Worry – Myths About College Majors”

1. I have told you this before, but at the risk of being boring, I am a Bio major, who worked in theatre before becoming an English professor and college administrator, and I have met many people on the way who had crazier career paths than I have had.

Jeremy Solomons

2. And I am a photography-obsessed English major, I have over 6 years of retail experience, I work in the theatre department, I am a writing tutor, and my dream job involves traveling.
    – Alethea

3. I have an interest in Law, art, history, and government. Going to law school is a future consideration but I recently discovered that you can go with any major and only base their acceptance on GPA and lsat scores. In fact, I have heard philosophy and art history majors getting in to top law schools. Before I was considering being a government major, and still am. But now I am considering an art or art history minor or major in combination with government. Career wise, I would like variety. Something that is creative but mentally challenging. Right now I have an undecided major and will continue to take classes that interest me. – Erin K.

4. 在当今全球化和信息科技飞速发展的时代,学术写作在学生的学习生涯中扮演着重要的角色。对于许多学生来说,学术写作可能是一项具有挑战性的任务,因为它要求不仅仅是文字的组织和表达,更需要深入的研究和扎实的学科知识。在澳洲,作为世界著名的高等教育学府之一,学生们在他们的学术旅程中经常会面临许多写作任务,因此澳洲代写服务https://www.lunwentop.net/aozhoudaixie/的兴起为他们提供了宝贵的学术写作帮助。