The holiday season: Too much too soon?

BOSTON–By the time Oct. 31 comes around, most malls and department stores have already completed their Christmas decorating, and Santa is just about ready to sit in his big red chair. But, aren’t the holidays stressful enough without us kicking off the mayhem two months in advance?

We all know there are many different types of shoppers when it comes down to this crucial time of year. There are those who have already completed their shopping by the time Dec. 1 hits, and those who don’t even start shopping until Dec. 23.

Those who start their holiday shopping early, more often than not, go with the understanding they are “beating the rush” and “avoiding lines.” But, there is a certain feeling of holiday cheer when shopping alongside others hearing “Jingle Bells” playing in the background.

The need for some to start their holiday shopping before others even finish their turkey dinner is driven by a fear or nervousness that otherwise, the best gifts will be gone. These days the holidays are all about getting the “it” toy or the newest gadget: whatever happened to the age-old adage “it’s the thought that counts”?

“I like to do most of my shopping sooner than later because it gives me one less thing to worry about during this stressful time of the year,” said Adrienne Lepardo of West Roxbury, Mass.

This is a strategy many shoppers take as the holiday season approaches, but some people like to avoid malls altogether. “I do all my shopping online; it’s what works best for me because I don’t have a lot of time on my hands,” said Stephanie Bisnaw of Canton, Mass.

Some stores are even helping shoppers with their early holiday shopping. Walmart and Best Buy are starting their Black Friday sales early this year. Both stores begin their special offers the week before Thanksgiving.

“I definitely think it is a good idea, but getting up early and being the first one at the stores on Black Friday is fun; it’s a tradition for me and my mom,” said Kelly Rogers of Walpole, Mass.

Holiday shopping is an annual event for many Americans, and it seems most people, no matter when or how they get it done, come Dec. 25 there are gifts under the tree.