Select Page

You have to be patient if you want to complete your journey.  A big part of marathon training is the long run.  It is often at the end of the week.  I sometimes dreaded that long run.  Sometimes during the long run, I would often become impatient because I just wanted to get it over with and put it behind me.  But the long run is not about speed, it is about distance.  I learned I needed to be patient and not go too fast just to get the run over with or at a pace that was too quick that would hurt me later on in the run and make it difficult to complete the long run.  Also, a typical mistake runners make in a race is starting out too fast at the outset of a race.  Learning to be patient and settle in helped me appreciate the journey instead of just crossing the finish line.

Also, when your journey is not going well, just be patient.  It will turn around.  I remember in my marathon training when I turned the corner.  I struggled with some stomach issues about midway through my training.  Just went it seemed like I would always be plagued by these digestive issues, no matter what I did, it went away.  I just needed to hang in there and it got better.  Perhaps my stomach just needed to get used to all that running.

My training for the marathon peaked at a long run of 20 miles.  The idea is to reach a peak long run then taper in the weeks before the race.  There were times during the training when I thought I was getting slower instead of faster, but alas I turned the corner about a month before the race and noticed I was running faster and felt stronger.

Sometimes in law school you may feel like you are not getting it and never will.  I still don’t know if I understand future interests from Property.  When learning new material, be patient.  Cut yourself some slack.  You may feel like you are the only one struggling, but you are not.  Everyone learns at a different pace.  If you have put in the work throughout the semester, the material will click before the exam.

It is challenging to be patient along your journey.  Every step you take on your journey counts and brings you to the finish line.  You got this! Just be patient, put one foot in front of the other, and keep going.