Select Page

When you are on your journey, remember to practice gratitude.  Be thankful for all you get to experience and learn on your journey.  Perhaps the journey has made you stronger.

One of my spinning instructors asked everyone in the class to write down why they exercise.  Mine was pretty simple – “because I can.”  When I am struggling, I often think of those who can’t run because of an illness, injury, or some other challenge.  The pain you may feel while running a marathon will not endure, unlike those suffering from an illness or disease. I chose to run a marathon but some of you may be on a journey of a different kind, such as one for survival and are on a race you had not signed up for or thought you would ever have to take.

As I stood on the Verrazano Bridge in Staten Island at the start line of the New York City Marathon and looked out at the New York skyline, I thought of how grateful I was to have reached the start line.  I thought of everything it took to get there, every step I took.  While running I saw many guide runners with blind or disabled runners by their side.  I was in awe of these runners and it reminded me to be grateful for my health and ability to run independently.  I was also grateful for the amazing energy from the spectators who enthusiastically cheered on the runners throughout the five boroughs of New York.

Many training programs for a marathon bring runners up to a maximum of 20 miles.  Given that the marathon is 26.2 miles, the last 6.2 miles are unknown.  Many runners hit the wall at mile 20.  I received a tip to help runners get through the last six miles of the marathon that involved being grateful.  I was advised to dedicate each mile of the last six miles to someone.  It reminds you to stop focusing on your own suffering and be grateful.  So, I dedicated mile 21 to my parents.  My parents are getting older and have health issues that have been and will continue to be challenging.  I thought of everything they had done for me in my life to take care of me, support me, and be there for me.  I dedicated mile 22 to my husband.  He put out water throughout town during my long runs.  He drove around and checked on me during long runs to make sure I was ok.  He cut up orange slices and never complained about all the pasta I made and the bananas I hoarded away from him to save for recovery after my long run.  I dedicated mile 23 to my children for their love, support, and patience throughout my training.  They listened to me talk about the training and the race incessantly for months leading up to it and were my biggest cheerleaders.  I dedicated mile 24 to my friends and family who are unable to run due to their battles with illnesses.   I dedicated mile 25 to family and friends who are no longer with us, having lost their battles with illnesses but are still with us in spirit.  I dedicated mile 26 to the Unified Basketball team my son is a part of.  He is a partner to athletes with special needs.  These athletes exhibit what it means to be a good teammate.  They illustrate grit and perseverance every game.  The last .2 miles I dedicated to myself for all this journey had taught me.

In law school try to practice gratitude.  Be grateful for your fellow students who support you along your journey.  Be grateful to your professors who want to see you succeed.  Finally, be grateful you have the privilege to attend law school.