Select Page

You are stronger than you think you are.   Both physically and mentally.  Once you realize your potential anything is possible.  You’re capable of much more than you can imagine.

Everyone suffers from the Imposter Syndrome at one time or another.  Maybe you have experienced that feeling at work, at school, or at a social gathering.   Imposter syndrome is a feeling like you do not belong or deserve what you have and that someone is going to find out.  For example, if someone asked if I was a runner, I would often say no or not really.  I should have said, hell yes!  I am running a marathon for goodness sake!  Buy into it.  Own it. Runners come in all shapes and sizes, ages, cultures, religions, races, sexual orientation, etc.  I used to think “now that person looks like a real runner (fill in the blank, a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, a musician, etc.).  Superficial appearance doesn’t matter, what matters is your inner strength.

Lawyers and law students struggle with the Imposter Syndrome even though these self-defeating thoughts are not based on facts or reality.  In law school it may seem like other students always have their hands in the air to answer a question posed by professors in class and you don’t know the answer.  You may feel like you don’t belong.  While you might sometimes feel like an imposter, or you don’t belong, that you aren’t good enough, etc., remember the roads are always open to everyone and you are not an imposter.   To remind yourself of all you are capable of, write down examples of your strength from the past and keep them in a folder or keep your running race bib numbers or medals from prior races where you can see them.

When I was beginning my training for the marathon, I went into a sports/running store to get all the equipment and apparel all the books said I would need, like sneakers, gels, a water belt, shorts, etc.  I said to the saleswoman, I am running my first marathon.  To my surprise, she didn’t laugh, look at me in disbelief, or question my ability or sanity.  She was very helpful and said “you’ll do great.”   It was still all a bit overwhelming, but I felt stronger not just for walking out of the store with the equipment I would need, but for the strength I found while doing it to set myself up for success.

Sometimes even if you don’t believe in yourself, others will and will help you begin to believe and find your strength.  I am grateful of how prepared I felt when I left that store and how supportive and nice the saleswoman was to me.  Sometimes kindness and support can go a long way.  She also invited me to come back for the programs they offer runners for free – yoga, group runs, etc.  I did return as she didn’t make me feel like I didn’t belong or was an imposter.  In fact, the stretches I learned in one of the demo classes at that store I used throughout my training before and after every run.  I’ve seen running shirts that say, “It doesn’t get easier, you get stronger.”

Law school doesn’t get easier, although it may seem it when you are in your third year, compared to your first year, there are just different challenges and you have to build your endurance.  When you try to brief your first case in law school it may have take you a very long time.  Don’t get frustrated as it will get easier and quicker.

Along my marathon training I had to run my 20 mile long run (the longest run I would do before the marathon) in the pouring rain.  Ironically, that 20 mile run in the rain, with cars splashing puddles of water on me as they drove by me, was one of the best runs of my training.  It wasn’t necessarily my fastest pace but I felt strong.  Training had made me stronger.  Rain was not going to stop me.  Not today.  I knew that if I could get through that run, I could get through the marathon, even if it rained (maybe especially if it rained).   Perhaps if that rain storm had been earlier in my training, I wouldn’t have dared run in it, but I was stronger now.  Don’t let any barriers get in your way.  Sometimes you need to look within.  When I was running the marathon during the end, from mile 21-26.2 I said to myself, dig deep.  Find your strength.  Did you find it?  Now that you found it, let it pull you through.  Hold on until the finish!

Your strength may not be obvious to others.  All you need is a spark to ignite your strength.  Then fan the flames.  When you look hard and deep, you will find your strength.  It will be there!