2012 Wrap-up

A few charcoal drawings from the semester
A few charcoal drawings from my review

Hey everyone! This will be my last blog post of the semester and the year. It’s been a crazy semester! I worked a lot, drew a lot, and learned how to paint and print for the first time. I finished all of my finals today once I had my ethics presentation. I had my drawing review on Monday and my painting review on Wednesday. It’s been so interesting to see all of my work together from over the semester. I’ve posted pictures from my three studio reviews here.

My black and gold prints
My black and gold prints

My printmaking final, as I mentioned, was a print exchange. I was inspired by a particular section of my ethics class in which I learned about Parmenides, a philosopher who believed that although it seems that nature is in a constant state of change, that our senses are giving us an incorrect picture of the world, and that nothing is really changing at all. I wanted to use these thoughts in some way for my final print, but I wasn’t sure how. I figured it out when I was listening to music and heard the lyrics “If vision is the only validation then most of my life isn’t real.” I thought that the lyric took the thoughts of Parmenides and made them current and relatable. So, I screen printed Parmenides’ words in gold in cursive, then the song lyrics in black on top. Then, I splattered some gold ink on top of all of the prints.

My paintings from the throughout the semester
My paintings from throughout the semester

For my final Painting review, I sat down with my professor for an individual review. Those are nice because you get specific feedback for just your work. I hung up all of my paintings from the semester and we looked at them together and discussed what I learned, what I gained from the class, and what I struggled with. It was great to see all of my work from the semester because before this class, I hadn’t ever really painted before.

Since the Fall semester is over and classes have ended, I’m home for winter break now and won’t be posting. I have decided to post while I’m studying abroad in the Spring, however, so expect posts again beginning in mid-January! I’ll be posting updates on my drawing, painting, art history, and photography classes as well as hopefully plenty of travel tales. See you in the spring, ciao!

One thought on “2012 Wrap-up”

1. This is a great high resolution screen which you have shared for the users. Making a website is not an easy task but managing a good website is really a hard work. As far as this website is concerned, I am very happy. High SERP