Senior Scheduling?!

Another busy, chilly week! I am so ready for spring to start. On Monday, I got my Ideas of Western Art midterm back and I’m feeling good about it! I also got my Women, Art, and Society midterm back last week. In Ideas of Western Art, we’re getting into lectures on the next art era: Impressionism! It’s neat because I’ve taken quite a few art history classes but none have really focused on anything later than Renaissance and Baroque art. So, I’m learning a lot of brand new and interesting things! The same thing is happening in Women, Art, and Society- we’ve started a new unit after the midterm and we were also assigned our final paper- 10 pages on the woman artist of our choice. I have to get to work on that soon!

Besides art history, there’s been a lot of sculpture going on. In figure studio 3D, I’ve moved past sculpting in model magic and onto a plaster mixture. I still make the metal armature of the figure, but instead of covering it with glued paper and then model magic, I make a mixture of water, wood glue, and plaster and cover the armature in patches. The result so far has been a big plaster head shape with a lot of cool texture! I’m still trying to decide if I want to leave the texture or sand it down, and if I want to add more specific facial features because right now it’s pretty vague. I also have been considering putting acrylic paint into my water/glue/plaster mixture to give my head some color. In sculpture class, we’ve been continuously working on our suitcase projects as well as a few new ones.

In seminar, we’ve been working on creating a catalogue of work from the first assignment, Vulnerability. Each fine arts major student has a different assignment to help put the catalogue together. Some people are in charge of the aesthetics of the actual catalogue, or collecting artist statements and dimensions. I’m in charge of taking the photographs of the actual work. It’s been fun to have a mini photo job! The fine arts department recently splurged on some amazing lights to shoot work with, so all of the photos are coming out pretty sweet. We are also working on our next project, titled Paradox. I’m thinking of continuing working with mirrors, since I don’t feel like I’ve exhausted what I want to do with them yet.

Another big part of this week has been registering for the fall semester; my SENIOR YEAR OF COLLEGE. I am not totally set on a schedule, but I’m pretty sure I’m taking:

Fine Arts Seminar
Advanced Seminar Projects(to take the place of a foundation class I missed)
Environmental Science
Advanced Drawing Issues
Photojournalism

It would be especially cool to take Photojournalism because it might give me access to Suffolk’s dark room! There is one on the main campus, but I’ve never even seen it and art students don’t have direct access to it, don’t ask me why. Hopefully taking this class will allow me to get some film photography going again! Also another plus of this potential schedule will be only having classes THREE days a week!

This weekend has been awesome- one of my best friends from home in Chicago came to Boston for the weekend for her birthday! We’ve been celebrating her birthday and exploring Boston and it’s been great to have her around and hanging out with my friends here. I’ve also been working on my resume for the first time ever, which is pretty nerve wracking. I want to get one together soon to start applying for summer internships in Boston and Chicago- wish me luck!

One thought on “Senior Scheduling?!”