Mildred F Sawyer Library

The Mildred F Sawyer Library is one of two of Suffolk University’s amazing libraries.Too many students it’s almost like a second home because of the many hours spent there grinding out homework after homework after project after project. There are three floors to the Sawyer Library each with different uses and resources at the disposal of the student body.

First Floor/Lobby Area
First Floor/Lobby Area

The first floor is the main entrance and lobby area. The checkout desk is at the entrance where of course books can be checked out of the library. However, it is not limited to just that, other useful items such as laptops and even phone chargers can be checked out for use if you are ever in the need for them. The lobby area also contains many desktops also available for use for any students. At the back wall, there is the reference desk. The reference desk is where to go if you have any questions to anything related to the library or books. There are three printers on this floor for use as well. To the right of the reference desk are reference books which can help you find other potential books that may be useful for you in every field imaginable. Another feature that you will notice immediately that this is the lively and talkative floor of the library. If you want to chill, talk with friends, but perhaps still do a bit of work, this is a good floor to be on because no one will scold you for talking.

The second floor is for students who wish to get more work done and be more productive, yet still be able to collaborate with other students in a quiet manner. The second floor features several study rooms which can be reserved on the Suffolk Library page.Definitely a good room to have as a resource if you need to work on group projects, especially with the access to the whiteboards. Just remember that the rumors stating the those rooms are soundproof are false. But unless you are yelling, I don’t believe anyone will hear you talking (or watching youtube videos, your choice). There are also classrooms on the second floor with computers. Here we were taught about the many resources available to us online on the Suffolk Library website. There are tons of small details that can be very useful, but the list would go on and on if I tried telling you every single thing. You will discover them in your time at Suffolk. I will focus on two main things. The search engine which allows you to filter through many books and even ebooks on different subjects, and can direct you to other possible books of interest depending on your previous search. The ebooks are also available to read online free of charge, all you have to do is find it and click a link. The second important feature is the MASSIVE database. To anyone who has ever had to write a research paper, you should know what databases are. There are pools of different articles, literary criticisms, blogs etc, that can potentially be used in research papers and other types of papers as well. Or even, just to learn more about certain topics. The filters on these databases allow you to cut a search of, let’s say, “energy and sustainability” from 11,000 results to a mere hundred or less. Every student at Suffolk will become familiar with these databases.

Finally the third floor, not as much to say as the previous two floors, but still important nonetheless. Taking a journey to the third floor should only be undergone by the most serious of students. You procrastinated a paper for your class, and it’s due in a couple hours. Go to the third floor. Didn’t do the past five assignments for a class and you need to get it done before you fail? Go to the third floor. The third floor is the floor of pure silence. If you need to focus, go to this floor. Nothing will distract you. f you talk, you’re probably distracting someone else. I myself have never dared to take the trip to the third floor, for that is a trip for the extreme players of this game called college. I have only heard the tales of the third floor. One day I will be brave enough to attend it, one day….one day.

Alright, that’s my blog. Thanks for reading!

One thought on “Mildred F Sawyer Library”

1. Even though I go to the library everyday, meaning I already know most of the stuff there, I still liked the tour. Overall, Great blog! You said everything that we did on the tour, and in great detail!