Pandora’s Promise®

16CONSERVATIVESUB_SPAN-articleLarge

“THE MORE YOU PEEL THE ONION, THE MORE STRANGE THINGS YOU FIGURE OUT”

Directed by Robert Stone, Pandora’s Promise is a documentary about the history and future of nuclear power. The movie stars Stewart Brand, Gwyneth Cravens, the author of Power to Save the World, Mark Lynas and other notable individuals. In this documentary, many are questioned about Nuclear Energy and there are many scenes from the past that give us a better understanding of how once and perhaps still views the negativities of nuclear energy. What’s interesting about this film is that it shows how lifelong environmentalists fearing climate change have reversed their opposition to nuclear power, which encourages the viewer to question why.

Throughout the first minute of the documentary you see strikes, hear people cussing, and the narrator questions Obama’s ways. What shocked me the most was the outcome or possibilities of the first plant in 1956 in Pennsylvania. Immediate deaths for 3,000 people, property damage of 7 billion, early death for another 30,000 from cancer radiation, and genetic consequences affecting.

The quote that stuck with me after the film was “There is no compromise of Mother Earth” which is nothing but the truth. I haven’t learned much about nuclear energy but this semester taking this class and ENT352, I have opened my eyes and become more aware.