By Tyler Josma

About the author: Tyler Josma is a sophomore (Class of 2024) English major and Pre-Law minor with hopes to be an immigration lawyer. Josma originally grew up in Philadelphia but now lives in Dedham, MA. Some of his interests include writing and competing in poetry, playing sports, and writing and performing music.

After seeing the movie Antlers, I’m now scared of anything even closely resembling a horn.

Antlers is directed by Scott Cooper and produced by Guillermo del Toro, David S. Goyer, and J. Miles Dale. del Toro is best known for films such as The Shape of Water (2017), as well as his work on Mama (2013) and The Hobbit series.

I am not a horror movie type; I find myself watching movies that I laugh at or relate to. However, I’m a bit more of a horror movie fanatic now. What started as a case of child neglect turned into a horrifying change of events that had me on the edge of my seat until the credits rolled.

In a nutshell, the movie consists of a troubled twelve-year-old boy named Lucas Weaver and his elementary school teacher Julia Meadows. They stumble on an animal-like spirit that has taken over the boy’s father after scavenging for supplies from a drug den. So with the help of Julia’s brother, who happens to be the local sheriff, an uphill battle is fought to save their town from a murderous creature.

The choice of who played each role could not have been better. The main character Lucas Weaver played by Jeremy T. Thomas, in which the story revolved around, must have been starved for the role; that, or the boy needs a big mac. He appeared trepid, thin and shaken. It was a sincere portrayal of a scared and helpless boy. However, as we get to know him, his demeanor changes from terrified to brave as he ventures through each thrilling moment.

Who else to help a twelve-year-old boy than an elementary school teacher. Julia Meadows, or better known by her real name Keri Russel, was considerably brave given the circumstances. It’s incredible to have a teacher playing such a significant role in a horror movie. Ms. Russell played a charismatic, somewhat stubborn character that never shied away from danger in the film. However, we saw a vulnerable part of her under the umbrella of toughness when we learned why she ended back up in Oregon.

If we look at the film as a whole, we can find that the most unlikely of people can have the most significant impact. Regardless of size, shape, or gender, we can all see ourselves bettering other people’s lives, even if that means fighting a ten-foot monster.

In the end, the flick Antlers left me terrified and in anticipation  of what comes next.