Questioning the customs of Valentine’s Day

BOSTON — Every year on February 14th, millions of Americans exchange sugary candy, colorful flowers, and squishy stuffed animals in order to show loved ones just how much they care. College students are skeptical about the importance of Valentine’s Day, yet many still participate in the traditional customs that come with this classic day of love. Sometimes referred to as the most romantic day of the year, and other times as “singles awareness day,” there is no question that this holiday is certainly controversial.

“Valentine’s Day is overrated,” said Dennis Gabriel, a single sophomore at Suffolk University. “I never actually did anything for Valentine’s Day, I don’t think it’s a big deal. I guess if you have a boyfriend or girlfriend you’ll go along with it, but, I don’t know, it’s just another reason to do things, just another excuse to celebrate.”

Nellie Avakov, a freshman at Suffolk University, feels that Valentine’s Day is not that big of a deal. “I think it’s a cute holiday, but it’s definitely overplayed by many people because first time couples over-do everything and spend way too much money, buy way too many gifts, and do way too many things to impress each other,” she said. “If you don’t have a date it pretty much sucks and you get depressed. It’s stupid to get depressed over one day.”

However “lame” some think the day of love is, there are always people who get into the holiday.

“I love Valentine’s Day,” said Robert Daigle, a second-year student at Northeastern University. “Me and my girlfriend always get into it and give each other creative gifts. Last year she made me a collage of things significant from our relationship. It had movie stubs from dates we went on and other mementos that showed me how much she cared.”

How are college students celebrating cupid’s holiday? “I’m going home to Connecticut on Wednesday to see my boyfriend and on Thursday we’re going to have dinner,” said Amber Owens, a student at Suffolk. “I would be upset if I didn’t see my boyfriend on Valentine’s Day.”

“I just broke up with my [boyfriend] so it’s a sad holiday for me,” said Arin Shapiro, a third-year student at Northeastern University. “This year, I’m going to hang out with my single friends. We’re going to make chocolate covered strawberries and brownies and we’ll cook pasta and watch a movie.”

Avakov remembers last Valentine’s Day as her most romantic. “Last year I had only been dating my boyfriend for two days, but we still went all-out,” saidAvakov. “I got him a stuffed animal and chocolate and he got me flowers and a necklace. We went out to a romantic dinner it was really nice, but a little much for only dating each other for two days.”

Gabriel’s favorite Valentine’s memory is from two years ago. “I had dinner made for me by my girlfriend. I went into the house and she popped out from hiding.”

No matter how they felt about the holiday, everyone had an idea about what their perfect Valentine’s gift would be. Owens said she would like to receive “the classic roses and chocolate,” while Avakov said she’d like to receive “an engagement ring.” Shapiro said she would like a homemade card, and Ryan Macleod, a senior at North Shore Community College, said all he wants is “my girlfriend in lingerie.”