Silence Dogood Essay #6

Benjamin Franklin published the sixth part of his “Silence Dogood” essays on June 11th, 1722. This essay specifically “exploits” Franklin’s opinion of his town’s worst “vice”: pride. Ben Franklin states that there is no worst sin or trait that God despises more than mankind’s excessive pride. One line that showcases Franklin’s true disgust in pride is when he explains why pride is such an unattractive trait; “The proud Man aspires after Nothing less than an unlimited Superiority over his Fellow-Creatures.” I completely agree with this statement and why it is such a bad thing in society. If humans live to control each other then all autonomy and individuality would be lost. In the time when Franklin wrote this, innovation was a major theme, as was intellectual thought. For men to live with so much pride that they wanted to be “superior” to each other would have been hazardous to their time’s developments and potential. Franklin also touches on the foolishness of “pride of apparel”, which is similar to modern day superficial-ness. Franklin says there is no pride worse than pride of apparel because it has no substantiality and no purpose. He also says that poor men are more susceptible to this sin of pride because they are constantly trying to emulate their rich peers. Franklin’s essay is headed into all the right directions because of this timeless argument against pride, but falls towards the last paragraph. The importance and weight his argument carries turns into a less important subject when he begins to mock women’s dress. He expressed his contempt with “hoop-petticoats” because the skirts are “monstrous” and “topsy-turvy.” This sounds very silly and completely irrelevant to the above statements. I completely lose my mind with his argument when Franklin turns sexist, as well as borderline misogynistic, with this line: “I would at least desire them to lessen the Circumference of their Hoops, and leave it with them to consider, Whether they, who pay no Rates or Taxes, ought to take up more Room in the King’s High-Way, than the Men, who yearly contribute to the Support of the Government.” This was a poor conclusion to this essay and therefore lessens the professionalism and seriousness of his statement. I was not a fan of this piece towards the end.

13 thoughts on “Silence Dogood Essay #6”

1. I very much agree with Franklin and believe that pride weakens people even though they believe they are strong. Pride is such an ugly trait that holds people back from being able to learn through mistakes and through other people. Pride is just something that will never go away and therefore Franklin’s argument and points made in this essay will be relevant forever.

2. Are you looking for a development company? I can recommend the company “Light IT”. This team of software developers helped to develop a good website for my company. It took me a long time to choose which programming language to create my project in. http://light-it.net/blog/smart-contracts-in-real-estate/ helped me, and I think anyone who is going to create a website needs to understand the details. So I can recommend this team as reliable specialists

3. Hello my friend. I want to draw your attention to the dnp capstone project site. It is a very good and reliable partner that has proven itself all over the world. They are real professionals with experience all over the world.

4. Hi. I know what to advise you. This is where you can find everything about nursing case study. There you can order any work at the highest level. I’m sure you’ll love it. It’s 100% worth the effort.

5. I think this is one of the most important pieces of information for me.
    And I enjoyed reading your article.
    But I want to note a few general things: the style of the site is perfect, and the articles are excellent.

카지노 게임
    꽁 머니 토토
    토토 검증
    토토 구인 구직
    토토 코드
    https://www.j9korea.com

6. i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to present something back and help others such as you helped me. Blossoms condo

7. I think this is a standout amongst the most critical data for me. What”s more, i”m happy perusing your article. Be that as it may, ought to comment on some broad things newport price

8. Took me time to understand all of the comments, but I seriously enjoyed the write-up. It proved being really helpful to me and Im positive to all of the commenters right here! Its constantly nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I am certain you had enjoyable writing this write-up. ki residences showroom

9. I’ve been looking for photos and articles on this topic over the past few days due to a school assignment, totosite and I’m really happy to find a post with the material I was looking for! I bookmark and will come often! Thanks 😀

10. Why couldn’t I have the same or similar opinions as you? T^T I hope you also visit my blog and give us a good opinion. safetoto I couldn’t think of this, but it’s amazing! I wrote several posts similar to this one, but please come and see!