Solar Energy Experiment

On November 2, 2015 we experimented on solar cells also known as Photovoltaics. Photovoltaics can convert solar energy into electricity, and we will do this using an NXT solar cell.

After connecting the solar cell, NXT adapter, and a voltage probe together with a computer, we opened the program: LabVIEW to get the results. We will be using our IPhone flash for a light source. The overall number of trials we will be doing first is 4. Each will be a 10 second time interval, meaning 10 different numbers will appear.

First trial is without any light, my hand was on the solar cell to cover all lights coming from the class room. When we ran the program, 10 different numbers appeared. Second trail was 1cm away from the solar cell, the numbers that appeared were larger than the first trial. Third trial was 5cm away from the solar cell, the numbers appeared were a little less than the second trial, but it was more than the first trial. The fourth trial was 10cm away from the solar cell, the numbers were not the same as the first one, but they were the closest. Thus, the farther away you are from the solar cell, the weaker the voltage gets.

Screenshot at Nov 10 18-01-15

“Table Trials”

We also got the graph of the average of the voltage, this negative linear trend line shows that the theory is correct.

Screenshot at Nov 10 18-04-10

“Distance vs Ave of Voltage”

Next what we did was, we had the distance fixed on 1cm away from the solar cell, and got 3 different colored film filters (Green, Red, and Blue). We performed the same method as the first 4 trials but this time, we just switch the colored filters and see how will it affect the voltage output.

Screenshot at Nov 10 18-18-25

“Bar Chart, Filter color vs Ave of the Voltage”

As you can see, the blue bar is the lowest, and the no filter bar is the highest. So this chart shows that the dark colors are was absorbing more light, not allowing much light to pass through.

Overall, I had fun experimenting in this lab, it was very useful and educational for us to learn more about the Photovoltaics, and I got to know that by making a few changes in the distance can change the voltage and current.

2 thoughts on “Solar Energy Experiment

1. mandar7

this blog was very descriptive and it really explained everything thoroughly. the pictures were also a good part of the blog because they tied everything together. overall i got the same results.

Reply
  2. Anna Brain

I’ve been running an online store for a few years now, but I’ve never been completely happy with the design and functionality of my website. That’s why I decided to hire a Shopify Development Agency shopify web design agency . They have been able to create a custom website that not only looks great but also has all the features I need to run my business efficiently. I highly recommend working with one of these agencies if you’re serious about your online business.

Reply