4/13 Gabel

Appendix 1 & 2

The first appendix was the name of Israel’s God, known as Yaweh. Instead of using adonai for God’s name, the bible uses Yaweh, and it comes up about 6,008 time. As a Jew, I was always told not to say adonai, because it was part of the ten commandments. However, I have never heard of the word yaweh until this class. I do not even know what it means, interestingly enough. I assume its just a way that non-Jews refer to God in the Old Testament.

Appendix 2 was the writing in Bible times. During that time, people wrote on tablets made from clay. Moses was said to use stone tablets, but overall, parchment was generally the standard. I wanted to introduce something that I had heard once, it may have been a midrash. Anyways, when God made the commandments on the 2 twin tablets, He was said to have carved them into stone twin tablets. What is interesting about this, is that when God put the commandments on the stone, it could be seen from the other side, but read the same as on the other side. Unlike a mirror, it could be read normally from the front and the back. I just thought that this was interesting.