An unsung hero at Suffolk University

BOSTON — One of the most ambitious and active students at Suffolk University will be graduating with a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology this May.

carlye2.jpgIn three weeks, Caryle Crosby’s hectic schedule will no longer be the same. Her roles as president of program council, residential assistant, orientation leader and scholar will be passed onto another student. She will no longer be a Suffolk University student but a Suffolk University alumna.

Crosby, 21, is prepared for the real world after college thanks to her many leadership involvements at Suffolk University.

Crosby grew up in a small town in Scituate, RI where she attended North Scituate Elementary School from preschool to the 4th grade. She moved to Connecticut as a result of her parents’ divorce. She returned to Scituate her junior year of high school and graduated in 2004.

The divorce of her parents and the resulting moves were not easy for Crosby. To overcome these obstacles, she kept herself occupied and joined soccer, basketball, and softball.

“I think a lot of my characteristics came from moving,” she said. “The reason why I succeeded is because I played sports.”

Moving from a small town in RI to Boston was also not an easy transition for Crosby. She describes it as the toughest part of her college experience. Freshman year brought sadness and tears from being away from home.

“No matter where you are, you can’t get comfortable until you see how small it really is,” she said.

As an executive board member of program council, orientation leader and scholar for three years, and a residential assistant for 2 ½ years, Crosby manages her daily schedule between her leadership activities, classes, school work, and her job at Starbucks.

“It’s hard but I keep in mind why I do the things I’m doing,” she said. “I get through because my friends are doing the same thing or they are equally busy.”

Kate Schuit, the associate director of student activities, and Crosby’s advisor, describes Crosby as insightful, organized, and compassionate. She has seen Crosby endure many transitions this year where incidents have happened beyond her control.

Early in the semester, Crosby lost two of her supporters at Suffolk. Her advisor from program council and her graduate fellow left. “She had a lot of patience with that situation,” said Schuit. “She sees a situation and she acts on it. She does it with a positive attitude.”

Her persevering personality has its own challenges. Crosby admits that one of her biggest weaknesses is not knowing when to say no to others.

andy.jpgAndy Dolan, the campus life chair of program council, describes Crosby as someone who is very dedicated and passionate about helping others.

“Her greatest weakness is that she cares too much about others,” he said. “That leads her to get stressed out and worry about them more than herself sometimes.”

Shuit and Dolan both agree that Crosby takes on one too many projects sometimes as a result of this.

The senior who appears confident in many people’s eyes wishes to be a more confident person. But she is content with who she has become. Her weaknesses have made her who she is.

“Carlye is one of my heroes at Suffolk because she is always willing to put others above herself, and that is a quality that makes a terrific leader,” Dolan said.

Only a few weeks away from graduation, a small part of Crosby is anxious. The thought of not knowing where her friends will move after graduation boggles her mind because they have become her support. But overall, she is excited and ready for the real world.

Crosby is eager to see whether she will go to graduate school or take on a full-time career. In the meantime, she is going to work as a support staff at a college after graduation.

“I feel prepared,” she said. “I have been given so much opportunity here at Suffolk. I have had the opportunity to figure out who I am by being allowed to fail, succeed, and be challenged. I have had the opportunity to meet mentors and friends who have shaped my values and beliefs that I know will remain concrete for the rest of my life.”