MOS trip

On Friday march 20th, 2014, I have attended and learn first-hand about four different energy and innovative exhibits at the museum of science located in Boston. As a future engineer, the four exhibits such as catching the wind, conserve at home, energized, and innovative engineers was extremely a great guidance for me to learn and be a part of it one day.

The first exhibit that I went to was the innovative engineers, which describes the life and work of several engineers and inventors to make our daily life easier. The three engineers that impressed me the most and can relate to myself are Dean Kamen, Stephanie Kwolek, and Eric Bailey. Like them, I always wanted to create something to help people and always had curiosity of how electrical devices work as a kid. And I hope as well in the near future I create a few things that will help save lives or make them easier. Dean himself invented auto syringe to deliver the exact dose for medical purposes, and also a generator that could be used in poor countries to help everyone consume clean water. Eric invented a CT (computed tomography) machine to help hospital scan from your neck to head area for any potential damage. These people have helped make the world a better place and I hope one day I could do the same.

The second exhibit that I checked out was catching the wind. The exhibit describes insightful knowledge of hoe the wind is used to provide electricity. It was more like a review to me since I already knew much that the wind was a clean and renewable energy, as well as 1% is only used to provide electricity in the US. But I have also learned that the wind mill process has being here for centuries. I was surprise to learn that the first wind mill was developed in the year of 500 A.D. I also learned that the wind is originated form the difference in temperature from the sunlight that moves the warm air and replaced it with cool air.

The third exhibit was energized, which provide most of the information about the mix of energy sources such as fossil fuels, hydro power, nuclear, solar, and wind that we use to power our city and described all of their advantages and disadvantages. This part to me was just a review of all the blogs that I have done as well as researching all of those materials before. For example I know that fossil fuel is not expensive, that’s what it occupies 80 % of the population electricity, but causes a great deal of pollution and thousands of people every year. Like hydro power is a clean energy, but take a lot of power and expensive material to produce a decent electricity, but in addition I have learned that it destroys and changes the landscape. For solar energy, I also learned that by theory the sun is powerful to provide electricity for infinite amount of time, but only 1% of it is used to provide electricity, why?? Well it is because of the inconsistency of the sun in certain region or area of the world.

The last exhibit that I visited was conserve @ home, which taught me a great deal of how myself and everyone else can help reduce the amount of extra energy wasted every day and also save us money and our natural resources. In this department, they also displayed several useful methods such as experiment with temperature, gravity, and a bed of nails. The experiment with temperature was to learn if Styrofoam cups keep water warmer than paper cup and the experiment showed that it was the same, but I thought that the Styrofoam cup would have kept it warmer. For the gravity experiment, I used a small ball put it in a tube to a certain height and dropped it to record how long it took to get down and tried it again with a different height that was also recorded to be to same. I also tried the bed of nails experiment, where i layed down on this flat surface and hundreds of nails lifted me up without hurting or piercing my skin. The process is explained that laying down on all those nails, which each carried a small amount of my weight and the pressure is relatively small because there are so many of them, which resulted in me not getting hurt.

One thought on “MOS trip