President Obama on Situation in Bahrain

I recently wrote to President Barack Obama to ask him to speak up against the death sentences for some of those protesting for democracy in Bahrain. (This was before the Bahrain monarchist government threatened to prosecute some doctors and nurses for the deaths of patients they treated, or I would have written about that, as well). I just got a response and wanted to share it with you, so here it is. I have to say, it’s pitiful:

The White House, Washington

May 4, 2011

Dear Friend:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.  I value your comments and inquiries.

I greatly appreciate the outpouring of messages from Americans across the country and around the world.  Some comments are supportive, others are critical, but all reflect the desire of Americans to participate in a dialogue about our common concerns and challenges.

To learn more about my Administration or to contact me in the future, please visit:  www.WhiteHouse.gov.  Thank you, again, for writing.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Visit WhiteHouse.gov

2 thoughts on “President Obama on Situation in Bahrain”

1. Thank you for your comment. I am aware of what the charges were. However, the people sentenced to death did not receive any kind of a fair trial; they were tried in secret, by the military rather than in a legitimate court with an independent judge. Moreover, the “security” personnel died in the context of a demonstration where protesters were being shot (a strange notion of security!) The video you link to does not provide evidence of guilt, since no people can be identified in it – but even if it could be shown that those convicted were driving that vehicle, one can also hear that there was constant gunfire, so it could be argued that it was an action of self defense.

Finally, it should be noted that there is no clear contradiction between pro-democracy and violence. I am glad that the Bahraini protesters, like those in Egypt, pursued a policy of peaceful protest; I think that works better than armed conflict, as in Libya. All the same, the US, France, England, and Germany all won democracy by violent conflict and war.