35

Masks: Helping or Hurting? By Megan Brown

Megan Brown
In a short answer to this question, masks help slow the spread of COVID-19. However, the reason why they help slow the spread of the virus can be confusing, given earlier guidelines stating that they were not needed to be worn by the general public. After more scientific research on this topic, it has been a consensus that maks are helpful to keep the population healthy, but social distancing and hygiene practices must be kept in place.According to Mayo Clinic’s article, “How Much Protection Do Face Masks Offer?”, a face mask is worn not to protect the wearer, but to protect those around them. If someone is asymptomatic a face covering such as a surgical mask or a cloth mask can be beneficial in reducing the number of people they spread the virus to. Mayo Clinic also mentioned the N95 mask, stating that they are extremely efficient due to its filtering of ninety-five percent of the wearer’s air particles. However, if the N95 mask that a person is using contains an air-filter valve, this can do more harm than good. The valve of this mask protects the wearer in this instance but releases the unfiltered air when the wearer exhales. This scenario rebuttals the whole reason the population is wearing the masks in the first place; protecting the public, not the wearer. With valve masks in place, asymptomatic people could unintentionally spread the virus, which is the reason why many cities have outlawed them.Another issue that has arisen with the use of facial coverings is the fact that social distancing sometimes doesn’t happen while people are wearing masks. Many medical institutions, including the CDC, have claimed that while masks have helped slow the spread of the virus, this does not mean that people should ignore social distancing guidelines. The social distancing guidelines that have been put in place are an extra barrier enabled for the protection of

the public. Both facial coverings and social distancing are important, but if social distancing is unable to take place, the use of a mask could help protect someone from contracting COVID-19. If the issue boils down to social distancing or a face covering, the use of a face covering is more crucial than a six-foot distance between people, as masks help protect others more than space will.

Sources
“Can Face Masks Protect against the Coronavirus?” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for

Medical Education and Research, 17 July 2020, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-2048 5449 .

“COVID-19: Considerations for Wearing Cloth Face Coverings.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 16 July 2020, www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.ht ml .

“Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus.” Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus | UC San Francisco , 14 July 2020, www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind- how-face-masks-prevent.

mbrown41

35 Comments

1. Recently Texas congressman Louie Gohmert tested positive for the coronavirus. Despite Gohmert being extremely anti-mask over the last few months, he stated that the reason he tested positive was because he started wearing a mask within the past few weeks. I love how you mentioned that despite masks being a helpful tool in slowing the spread of the virus, that social distancing guidelines should be adhered to ensure that you and others are protected. Gohmert’s confirmed case raises the same question in Congress: With 100 Senators and 435 Representatives still meeting despite the pandemic, are our lawmakers taking the necessary steps to protect themselves and others? I think your post was very interesting and it made me really think!

2. Keep up the fantastic work, I read few articles on this site and I conceive that your blog is rattling interesting and contains bands of wonderful information. visit my site: AGEN SLOT ONLINE TERPERCAYA

3. Bonanza138 merupakan salah satu situs agen slot online terpercaya yang telah terbukti akan membayar berapapun jumlah kemenangan anda dan proses deposit dibawah satu menit saja.

4. Slot Online Pragmatic Play di BONANZA138 sendiri adalah salah satu provider yang sudah terkenal di permainan slot online. Dengan adanya fitur pembelian free spin sehingga banyak penjudi gemar memainkan permainan dari pragmatic.

5. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Visit: Aviator Chairs

6. From some point on, I am preparing to build my site while browsing various sites. It is now somewhat completed. If you are interested, please come to play with slotsite !!

7. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best!print plotter hvs A1

8. I found useful stuff here it’s a great site and gives duck life useful knowledge, thank you for sharing it with me.

9. Just gotta spill the beans on my recent Dubai car rental gig! If you’re eyeing those fancy wheels in the city of bling, here’s the lowdown. First off, skip the headache and hit up https://brooklands.rent/ – seriously, they got the goods. Prices? Legit. Choices? More than a kid in a candy store. I was on that site like a hawk, and let me tell ya, the range is bananas. Picked a beast without breaking the bank. What sealed the deal? The crew at Brooklands ain’t messing around. Got on the chat, got the 411. They practically held my hand through the selection process. Top-notch service, my friends. Worried about getting a clunker? Fear not. These rides are mint. No hiccups, no weird smells – just pure driving bliss. It’s like borrowing your rich buddy’s car without the awkward favors afterward. Long story short, hit up brooklands.rent if you’re Dubai-bound and dreaming of cruising in style. No regrets, no hassle. Just buckle up and enjoy the damn ride.

10. I am the owner of Luxury Car Rental Company in Dubai https://carrentaldxb.com/ and i want to thank you for sharing that insightful article with me. I found the discussion on Helping or Hurting particularly thought-provoking. It’s sparked some new ideas for me, and I appreciate you thinking of me. It’s not often I come across content that resonates so deeply. Your thoughtfulness in sending it my way means a lot.

11. Ugsima agen situs slot online terbaik dan terpercaya yang memiliki persentase kemenangan tertinggi sehingga memudahkan anda untuk mendapatkan jackpot maxwin.

12. QQANGPAO Selamat datang di QQANGPAO, Website Slot online Paling Populer dengan pilihan game terbanyak, menjadi salah satu pilihan terbaik bagi semua pemain yang bergabung menjadi member QQANGPAO, Modal cukup 10k pasti jackpoT