Pandora’s Promise

pandora

Pandora’s Promise is documentary and it was very much set up like a documentary, which I enjoy very much. In documentaries they usually have old footages and images of events that are being talked about with a voice over explaining the situation or what they thought.

In Pandora’s Promise it introduced 5 people that are very knowledgable in this field, and if I understood correctly in their introductions, they talked about a position they felt before hand and hinting that they had later changed how they viewed it and became pro-nuclear.

The beginning was very fitting. It talked about the Fukushima Daiichi, which we had learned about and had done a blog on. It was nice to hear people talk about it and not read articles and the images in this documentary were out of this world. Reading about it when I had done my blog post I was shocked but seeing the live footages and the exposing live were really something else.

I thought it was really interesting to see Japan a year later, and having someone there and basically experience what they experienced.

(I very much enjoyed the whole Fukushima Daiichi part of Pandora’s Promise, I was VERY interested by the footage!)

Another thing I really enjoyed about Pandora’s Promise was the relation we could make from things in outr class, like the Fukushima Daiichi, but also when _____ was speaking of how he worked at Argon National Laboratory (might have incorrect spelling) and they showed the room and I had flashbacks to the MIT lab trip it was very similar and so I related. Later on in the documentary they showed more of Argon National Laboratory and again flashbacks of MIT, but this time we had a view of the outside and inside and it was so similar to the one I had just previously visited. Then they talked about the “IFR” which we saw one at MIT and in Pandora’s Promise we got to see one being used, and it was very nice to understand it better and actually see how it worked.

Every speaker, although being very accomplished in this field spoke in a language that didn’t make me feel lost and I really enjoyed this as I watched it because science is not my forte and I could actually learned a lot because much of it was broken down.

But along with being very through their language was also very raw and real. You could tell when they were angry or when they were stunned at something. It made their reactions seem real and not acted.

Overall I really enjoyed this documentary. From the language, images and the message that it sent. I would recommend it in the future!

3 thoughts on “Pandora’s Promise”

1. I love watching documentaries on a range of subjects and agree this one was well done. It is great when a complex topic can be broken down and explained to someone with minimal background knowledge on a topic. The people were credible and the emotional accounts were very telling of how they felt.

2. I like your point of how the movie was very easy to understand, I definitely agree. Even though everyone that was talking throughout it has years of experience in the field, the movie was very easy to comprehend for people that have no knowledge.