Museum of Science

Museum of Science is an amazing place to visit, it has tons and tons of information about different fields. On the day of Halloween October 31st of 2014 we had the chance to go and visit that awesome place. Our task was to focus on four different exhibits: Catching the wind, Energized, Conserve at home, and Microbiotics takes flight. It was a great opportunity since we had studied most of what we had seen within the exhibits, but not actually had the chance to test our knowledge.

In the Energized section I had the chance to look at the different types of renewable energy that could be generated, such as solar and wind power. I stopped at the solar panels experiment, where they had a shape of a house with a movable solar panels located on the top and a light and some buttons that make you switch from a day time to noon and so on. There was also a sheet of paper where I can calculate my measurements from the given kWs. After doing the experiment I found out that part B is where the panels should be placed to get the maximum power. As shown below:

Catching the wind section was also amazing since it had some data about how much energy that it could produce as well as the different countries and cities that uses it. It also explained how can wind generates electricity as shown below:

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 9.32.47 PM

Conserve @ home has a lot of different experiments. They had a shape of a microwave with a screen in the middle that shows you what happens to different objects after microwaving them such as CD, or light bulbs. Another interesting thing was about recycling and what could result of recycling different types of plastics. There was also one thing made me stop and try because I have always wanted to know the difference between the light bulbs we use and the amount of watts needed to make them light, there were different kinds bulbs assembled within a box and I had to turn a wheel using my hands to start each light bulb, the idea was to see how much power I needed for each one. I found out that LED one needed the least power to start and the Incandescent needed the most. As shown below:

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 9.55.14 PM

One of the exhibits had this amazingly incredible idea of a RoboBee, which I have not heard of before:

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 9.58.08 PM

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Museum of Science

1. Bryan Vermes says:

These exhibits were all so interesting and built upon what we had learned in class. I found the wind exhibit to be the most appealing, as it showed the potential benefits of the power source and how it worked all in one place.

Information is power! It was a fun trip. đŸ™‚