Select Page

Don’t downplay your journey or what you have achieved.  While it is good to be humble, be proud of your accomplishments.  You have worked hard to achieve them.  You had the courage to start the journey.

Don’t be self-deprecating.  For example, don’t say, “I am not a fast runner,” or my finish time was not very good, or “I am not a real runner. “Don’t downplay your success in school.  Just getting through your first year of law school is an accomplishment.

Be proud of how far you can come.  You took that first step and never looked back.  The sacrifices you have made along the way, the highs and lows, the pain you have endured, all got you to where you are today – a place and person you should be proud of.  You have to be proud of yourself first before others can be proud.

No matter how your journey ends, don’t be too hard on yourself.  You should be proud just getting to the start line!  Before moving forward on your next journey, take a moment and beam with pride.  Others will no doubt be very proud of you as well.  The day after my marathon, I proudly wore my marathon jacket and race medal, not to brag about running the marathon (well maybe a little) but more because it made me feel good and reminded me to be proud of myself.  I have a marathon race picture in my office as well as my law school framed diploma.  Looking at them each day makes me feel proud of the challenges I have overcome.