Inside the Junk Drawer

Just another Blogs.cas.suffolk.edu weblog

By

This is Not a Title Because I Can’t Think of One

It’s the day before Halloween. Candy and cupcakes are sitting on the front desk for the students and faculty that pass by like clock work. Molly and Holly are awesome like that. I was surprised when I found out I like lemon frosting. I’m not sure what I’ll be doing tomorrow. I know my sister and her boyfriend are going to a party out in Northern Mass. I don’t want to travel out of the city because I have an eight hour shift on Sunday.

Work wise, its the usual hustle and bustle, until I offered to put up fliers for our New York trip. We’re a bit short on people. We were short on people last year too. I don’t know why. I went and it was really interesting, so I might go again if everything works out. I’m going to put fliers up on the main campus. It will be good to get some new faces in, I think.

For Printmaking, I’ve altered a floral design I made during the summer. My sister’s roommate wanted a design for a cabinet she wanted to make and tried to commission me to do it. I already knew walking into it that I wasn’t going to be able to make anything she wanted. I’m not a Graphic Design major; that’s not my thing. I made three different versions and none of them were good enough, so I considered them failures. Then Perla saw them on Wednesday when I was trying to pick a drawing for an etching and said they were good.  I didn’t believe her until Randal concurred. It’s a linear design, but didn’t have a lot of contrast, so I added a scribble effect in the background. I have to scan it again and take a second look at it to make sure all the lines are dark enough.

We finished the portrait drawing in Gabe’s class. Everybody was late because the trains were running slow and it was raining out; not a good way to start the day. Or you’d think that. Our models were missing for about twenty minutes, so Gabe had us model of each other. I like drawing my classmates. We did that in Drawing II in Neils Burger’s class last year and I found that to be a lot of fun. So, I modeled. It’s a bit difficult, staring at the same thing and trying to be perfectly still. It sounds easy just saying it, but seriously, try doing that for fifteen minutes and see. When I was done, Gabe said I had an interesting face and suggested I could model for portraits. Funny thing is I’m really starting to consider it.

We still haven’t gotten our grades back in Western Art 1. I still don’t feel good about it. I feel like if I think I did well, I’m going to jinx myself. There’s also a Sociology exam on Thursday that I have to start looking over my notes for. The last test we took, he said some of us did okay, so I got really nervous. My test was fine when he handed it back. Tests just make me really anxious…

In Imaging were dealing with texture. This is actually pretty funny because my Merging project had a lot to do with texture, so its a little weird doing the same kind of concept twice. I decided to show Slimy by taking a human brain and combining it with leeches, slugs, and worms. I got the effect I was looking for; Matt made this really disgusted face when he saw it. At first, I thought the idea might be too repulsive, but it was too good to pass up. I’ve never done anything like it before, so I figure why not? Not everything is nice and wonderful all the time; why should art be? I’m also going to do a few more: I’ve got another idea for describing sharp.

I had my advising meeting yesterday. I told Audrey I was thinking about minoring in creative writing. However, when we looked at the Fiction Workshops, we found there were a lot of prerequisites, so I’d have to take summer classes. I’m not sure I can. It’s pretty expensive, more than what my mom said we could handle financially. So, I might be here for an extra year. I’m going to sign up for Chemistry in the summer when I register for my Spring classes. Worse comes to worse, I’ll just have to drop it.

Last thing: this whole roommate situation is still pretty awful. My landlord said to call the realty company he usually uses for paperwork. I’ve tried calling them several times over the last couple of weeks, but I never get a response. I’m hoping they’ll reply to the email I sent last night, but part of me thinks I’m physically going to have to walk down there and figure out what the heck is going on. Also, my old landlord hasn’t called me back about the key deposit he owes me from last year, so I have to call him again. He’s the type of person that takes over a month to fix a broken dishwasher, even if you call him repetitively. Wish me luck on that.