Saturday, May 7th, 2011...9:34 am

end of semester wrap-up

Jump to Comments

spring 2011 is officially over. i had my last two finals today and summer is here. well, in theory it is; the weather hasn’t exactly been cooperating. but hey, it’s still early may, so i am sure it will get warm soon.

i had my portfolio review on tuesday. since i am going to be a senior next year (eeek!), i did a junior portfolio review this semester instead of a sophomore review like last semester. the difference between the two is huge! the sophomore review requires you to post your work up on a wall and walk away. the reviewers come for an hour or so and write down their comments and then you come back when they are gone and pick up your work.
the junior review is more like a job interview. you present your work to a panel of staff, explaining your concepts, your choices and your overall design. about a half-hour in total, they then give you feedback and critique. they write down some stuff too, but you don’t get your overall rating until the beginning of the next semester.

despite my nerves i think i did really well. i practiced presenting my boards to my empty kitchen twice before i went, so i think that helped. hahaha one of my staff jurors was the director of the graphic design program, laura golly. talk about intimidating. but she had some great things to say about my work and she gave me some awesome advice. i feel pretty good about the entire thing, but i won’t know for sure until i get that packet at the beginning of the semester telling me what they really thought.

now that this hard semester has finally come to a close (thankfully– this one was a toughy), i am going to go through and recap my five classes for you so you can get an idea of what i have done this semester….