Saturday, April 30th, 2011...1:16 pm

alternative winter break

Jump to Comments

so the planning sessions have began for this year’s (well technically next year’s) trip to el salvador. if you haven’t seen my previous post about this, i am going to be the student trip leader for the 2012 alternative winter break trip to el salvador. we are going to be spending a few days in san salvador and then we are going to spend the remainder of the time working with habitat for humanity. my roommate this year went and she had the most amazing time! when she came back and told me all of the stories and showed me all of her pictures, i just wanted to hop on a plane and go back with her. i didn’t think i was going to be able to go, though, because there is a history class attached to the course and since i didn’t have any room in my schedule, i had basically given up on my hopes of going to latin america, tucking that dream away for the future. until, i was approached by carolina, the director of S.O.U.L.S. who was also my facilitator on my mississipi alternative spring break trip, and she asked me if i’d like to be the team leader for the trip this year! after a lot of careful consideration, i went with the obvious decision of YES! I WILL ACCEPT THIS ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY! and the rest is history.

we’ve had our first meeting, filled with pupusas and ice breakers. the group seems great! now over the summer it’s my job to figure out the pre-trip volunteer opportunity and design some tshirts for the trip! i’m going to come up with a few designs and then have the rest of the students vote on them! i’m sure this will only be the first of many updates about my trip– so stay tuned!