Thursday, May 6th, 2010...3:18 pm

second semester classes: drawing II

Jump to Comments

drawing two was the first class that i finished this semester, and it was definitely one of my favorites. i have grown to love drawing so much. i was really sad to see it end. i have learned so much this semester. drawing two focuses more on color and figure drawing. i had a pretty good idea of how to draw in color before i came to the new england school of art and design, but i definitely have a better sense of it now. we started off with still lifes in black and white and then we slowly added color. we used a lot of charcoals and pastels (which are my favorites!), but we also had a few weeks of colored pencil. they took a bit to get used too. they are VERY different from pastels, but they are excellent for smaller drawings. later on in the semester we started with the master’s drawings of the human form and then we moved on to a live model. i had very little experience with the human form before this semester. so i was really intimidated at first. now, i am pretty confident in my ability to draw a model. …really what i have learned is that it is all about practice.

i don’t draw very much outside of school but that is definitely going to change. it’s taken a long time for me to get to this point. drawing is kind of like working out. you could work out really hard for a few months, but then if you stop, your going to lose endurance, muscle tone, etc. when you go back to it, you might be still be able to do somethings, but you have to build back up again in order to get to the level you were at before. does that make sense? eh i hope so. basically what i am saying is i don’t want my drawing muscle to get out of shape. haha during my final portfolio review (which went really well actually), the professors said that i need to push myself to try new things and use different techniques. now that i am done with my foundation drawing classes, i need to keep up with it in order to progress! i’ve got more free time now so its time to experiment!

1 Comment

•   Nichole
    May 7th, 2010 at 1:35 pm    Reply

Yay Kaela!
    Glad you got through your finals and you reviews went went. I hope you have fun in Prague, I think it would be hard not to. I can’t wait to hear about it!
    Have fun this summer!!
    🙂 Nichole