Saturday, January 23rd, 2010...6:34 pm

new semester!

Jump to Comments

so as many of you know, a new semester means new classes. this spring semester of twenty-ten i have five classes. now i don’t know if i explained this before… but i’ll go over it again. just in case. so the number of classes you can take here at suffolk university depend on the number of credits each class is worth (this is the same as most universities). a full time student is required to take at least twelve credits (no more than seventeen). the average suffolk student who is say a business major or an english major will take four classes a semester because each of their classes is four credits. four x four = sixteen. perfect!

now the new england school of art and design (nesad) at suffolk university works a bit differently. classes here are generally worth three credits. i am not quite sure why. but hey, that’s just how it is. therefore, i can take more classes than the “average” suffolk student. this semester i am taking three studio courses: drawing two, three-dimensional design, and design issues and processes. and then two college of arts and sciences classes: latin american fiction and cinema and ideas of western art two.

i’m pretty satisfied with my schedule this year. i like the timing of them all and so far, i enjoy them. my three studio classes are still a part of my foundation education. so drawing is a basic drawing class. but this semester, we are moving on from contour and black and white and moving into color! 🙂 those of you who have never seen me in person do not know how much i love color. granted, i am not one of those people who likes to wear rainbows every day, but i am very much a mood/color dresser. i’m happy, so i wear something bright like pink. i’m a little mellow and relaxed, i wear nice earth tones. no matter my mood, i always have a bit of color… and i digress.

three-d  i am a bit more hesitant about. i’m not really accustomed to working with three-d media. yea, i’ve done some pottery and jewelry work, but i have never experimented with wires and plaster and styrofoam. so the class is going to take my out of my comfort zone. which is good, but naturally, it makes me nervous.

i wasn’t quite sure what design issues and processes was going to be when i walked into the class. i had completely forgotten the course description. but i was pleasantly surprised to find out that we are going to be going on lots of museum trips. i always mean to go to all the different museums and galleries that are around boston, but then i always do something else. this is an excellent opportunity to spend some time at the museum of fine arts, the institute of contemporary art, and all the other places sprinkled around the city. i’m excited for this course.

my two other classes are going to be fun too. my latin american fiction class is going to be great, but a lot of work. since i am a spanish minor, i am going to be reading all the literature and writing all the homework in spanish. if i’m not completely fluent by the end of this semester, i don’t know if i ever will be. haha and my art history class is a continuation of art history one (which i took in madrid). it’s a required course for us nesad-ers, but i think it will still be cool. 1400-1950 is a long time and a lot of art happened in those 550 years. if anything, it will certainly be informative.

so as you might have assumed, it’s going to be a busy semester. i’ve got lots of work ahead of me! 😀 (i’m trying to be optimistic about it! haha)

4 Comments