Tuesday, October 27th, 2009...11:30 pm

coffee with milk

Jump to Comments

so i don’t know if you remember that in my last post i talked about my desire for cafe con leche… (refer back to the post before this if you don’t) but i have finally satisfied that craving… well, sort of.

yesterday was monday, so that means it was coffee-with-leidy (my best friend who i only get to see once a week) day. we continued on our weekly cafe voyage and discovered a cute little place called L’Aroma Cafe on newbury st. it’s one of those places that is half-way underground, so you could easily walk right by it. however, its little european-esque patio and bright interior caught our eye (plus, we were searching for cafes, so obviously we found it easily).

the place is really adorable. and it is reasonably priced, which, on newbury st, is a very rare thing. it’s got a cool upper level by the window which would be perfect for studying and a lower level with benches and little round tables.

on to my cafe con leche connection…. if you didn’t pick up on it by the name of the cafe, it is french-inspired. and the french have this thing they call café au lait, which conveniently translates to coffee with milk. i honestly don’t know why i didn’t think of this before. my brain must have been confounded by the whole french v. spanish thing. i don’t know, but i was deciding what to order when i had this little epiphany. perfect timing!!

obviously, it wasn’t the same. milk is processed differently over there. fun fact: milk actually comes in those aseptic packages that products like soy milk come in, so you can store your dairy milk in your cabinet and it won’t go bad. interesting, right? it completely weirded me out at first. but i digress… since the milk is different here, there is no way it can possibly taste the same. however, it was pretty darn close, and paired with a croissant, i was practically in heaven. the experience definitely alleviated some of my madrid-sickness. haha 🙂 good thing leidy and i go out and do this sort of thing every week!!