Final Class Experiment

For the final class experiment I choose the experiment called Temperature and Heating Lab : Radiation and Color. The group leader explained that this experiment was done in order to see what color paint would be the most efficient in absorbing radiation and creating a low temperature for the household. This system would be used in the summer. To test out this theory the group brought four thermometers, markers in four colors, a lamp and a timer. What we had to do was color the outer shell of the thermometer case with the marker. Then we put them directly underneath the lamp for 20 minutes. The thermometers were set at 27 degrees. Afterward we checked the temperature to see which one had the lowest temperature and would be the most efficient. Going into the experiment, I hypothesized that the black thermometer would be the most efficient because it does not have a reflection. To my surprise the most efficient turned out to be the green thermometer. The black had a temperature of 42 degrees Fahrenheit and green had a temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit. turns out that green is in the middle of the color spectrum, therefore the properties of absorption and reflection are leveled to create a steady temperature. I never thought that a specific color could effect the temperature of a house. It was very interesting to me. I think that this concept could work, but it would have to be put into place, in an area of constant heat. Anywhere, that has a change in season would need a change in temperature. In winter the house would always be cold. Coal and other methods of heat production would be used. This would effect the environment and defeat the purpose of painting for a “greener” house. The good news is that it can be used in some parts of the world. Some areas have now started to paint their roofs with what are called “cooling colors”. These are green, red, and black. They have used different materials, like aluminum to cool down the houses. It is a very fascinating process, which is why I decided to try out this experiment.