2015 BFA Grad Elizabeth Arkins interviewed by IIDA

Elizabeth Arkins ’15, was recently interviewed by the International Interior Design Association about her work as a hospitality designer. The following interview can be found on the IIDA Northeast Wire website.

Company: XSS Hotels
Concentration: Hospitality
College/University: Suffolk University
Year of Graduation: 2015
If you had to describe yourself in three words, they would be…: Creative, Driven, Dreamer
Who is a character from a TV show or a book that you’ve always resonated with?: Jess from New Girl! I have a similar sense of humor and a crew of hilarious friends.
If you won a lottery ticket for a million dollars, what would you do with it?: Take a much needed vacation, adopt a bunch of dogs from shelters and buy a fixer upper!
If you could trade lives with one person for an entire day, who would it be and why?: Right now, I would trade lives with Daun Curry, an interior designer whose work I have followed for years. She is currently designing the penthouses at Cosmopolitan Las Vegas and I imagine that is an incredibly glamorous job!
You’ve been given access to a time machine; where and when would you travel to?: 1950’s! I absolutely love mid-century furnishings so I would like to go back to a time where I could fill a house with them. It would have been incredible to around when the Eames’ timeless designs came to life. Plus the outfits were pretty fantastic.
What is your most bizarre talent?: Not really a bizarre talent but I can pretty much make anyone laugh by bursting into song – because I am an absolutely horrible singer. I only ever sing one line from one song – Whitney Houston’s “I will Always Love You” and I have no idea where that came from.
Lesson learned that has benefited you most in your career: Approaching every job and task with the mentality that you can learn something from it. There are very few tasks that feel tedious to me when its design related.
Why did you choose to become an Interior Designer?: 
I fell in love with the fact that as a designer, I have the ability to craft an individual’s experience through their surroundings. Walking into a well-designed environment just instantly makes you feel something – cozy, inspired, energized – any way the designer intended you to feel. Having a hand in crafting an atmosphere is really exciting for me.
What is one goal you’d like to accomplish in your lifetime?: A dream of mine is to have work featured in a major publication like Hospitality Design magazine.