Benjamin Franklin and Beer

The quote “Beer is proof that God loves us” has been attributed to Benjamin Franklin for many years. All over the internet one can find posters, shirts, cups, with the quote printed, giving Franklin credit for those words.

Upon further examination, it is apparent that Franklin never said these exact words, although something vaguely similar. In an undated letter to Abbe Morellet, Franklin said “We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana, as of a miracle.  But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes.  Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy!”

It is easy to see how these words could be manipulated into Franklin implying that beer is proof of God’s love for us. Although, it seems from the above quote that he was actually referring to wine and the process of making wine. It is not surprising that breweries and beer sellers alike would take these words and twist them to mean beer specifically, and then put Franklin’s “stamp of approval” on it before selling merchandise with his name and words all over it.

8 thoughts on “Benjamin Franklin and Beer”

1. Great work, lucky to find this amazing post.
    How I wish I can also write like this very well written and organized.
    Can you check mine? Click this

안전 카지노
    코인 카지노
    안전 토토 사이트
    먹튀 검증 커뮤니티
    스포츠 토토 사이트
    https://www.j9korea.com

2. I am continually amazed by the amount of information available on this subject. What you presented was well researched and well worded in order to get your stand on this across to all your readers. My Car Import

3. It’s the same topic , but I was quite surprised to see the opinions I didn’t think of. My blog also has articles on these topics, so I look forward to your visit. safetoto

4. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writing 3d wall panels