Silence Dogood essay #11

Thomas Charpentier
Professor Robert Allison
CI-H133
1 February 2016
Silence Dogood Essay XI
The eleventh Silence Dogood essay was written for the August 13th issue of the New-England Courant in 1722, and involves the request of an older virgin woman, who refers to herself as Margaret Aftercast, asking for relief for women who have remained virgins and are unmarried over the age of thirty. The “petitioner” says she was once a younger woman who would immediately spurn the advances of any suitors simply because she was young, attractive, and could. Now in her advanced years the woman has remained a virgin and has no suitors, due to her dismissal of many for no legitimate reason, and now regrets this. She requests some relief program be set up to care for aging women who cannot find a suitor and are still virgins by the age of thirty.
Franklin, as Silence, proposes a society of older virgins lacking any suitors to receive 500 pounds sterling. Franklin also made three rules for the society; members cannot be admitted if after the age of 25 they continued to discard “humble servants without sufficient reason” unless she writes her regret and remorse. The second rule that a member could not refuse credible offers from suitors and still receive the 500 pounds. The third rule was that the woman could not hold and praise company over her husband for more than an hour, so essentially she had to treat her husband well. Franklin clearly outlined the rules and functions of this society, unambiguously so that anyone reading this could have made it without any further questions.
I am not sure of Franklin is being sarcastic here, though it really does not seem to be the case, but if he is not then I strongly disagree with him. I think these women that treated their suitors like objects and got rid of them as soon as they grew tired of them were cruel and this is poetic justice. No one owes them anything, especially not any money; I researched how much 500 pounds sterling would be worth today, and the closest estimate inflated the price of 500 pounds from 1774 to today and that alone was over $70,000 American! For being cruel to suitors and by your own fault being alone, that is all it takes to get 70 grand? If anything I think Franklin should have said it was awful that this woman’s actions affected her life, and expressed how sorry he was that she was a terrible person.

7 thoughts on “Silence Dogood essay #11”

1. First, it requires to eat a great deal more than of Bread; and that they can’t do unless they have plenty of it. I am willing to get resumes planet to complete my work timely so that I could read more things like this. Secondly, the expense of making it is not like that of Bread. For when the Meal has been once boiled into Pudding, you may fry or bake it over again with very little trouble and expense; which cannot be done with bread.

2. I think this is one of the most important pieces of information for me.
    And I enjoyed reading your article.
    But I want to note a few general things: the style of the site is perfect, and the articles are excellent.

카지노 게임
    꽁 머니 토토
    토토 검증
    토토 구인 구직
    토토 코드
    https://www.j9korea.com

3. This essay is written very well, here I want to share a service that is times better essay writing. Their robots come out as original and matchless as possible. EssayHub is the solution. Our indepth review describes the primary benefits of essayhub reviews https://essay-reviews.com/essayhub-review services, they are dedicated to providing customers with satisfaction. Start a transformative academic journey with the help of EssayHub and you will uncover new opportunities.

4. You must be overly familiar with the game Geometry Dash. If you’re interested, you can find more variations of this game on the Geometry Dash Scratch website. This collection includes five video games produced by Swedish game developer Robert Topala and published by RobTop Games. In this game, you and your character will be required to go rapidly through a dangerous tunnel.

5. The assignment submission period was over and I was nervous, casinosite and I am very happy to see your post just in time and it was a great help. Thank you ! Leave your blog address below. Please visit me anytime.

6. I came to this site with the introduction of a friend around me and I was very impressed when I found your writing. I’ll come back often after bookmarking! totosite I am writing on this topic, so I think it will help a lot. I leave my blog address below. Please visit once.