First Friday

my finished painting, partly from memory

On Monday in painting, we finished our painting without a model, which was difficult but it turned out pretty well. I’m happy with how my painting turned out, it was definitely a challenge to work from memory and also interesting to work from a few works by other painters. On Wednesday, we had a new model come in and started a new painting.

Celine Browning: Portrait of CB & ATS
Celine Browning: Portrait of CB & ATS

On Friday, a few friends and I went to First Friday at the Thayer st. Galleries in the south end. There were a lot of awesome shows up, including work at Kingston gallery by my contemporary trends professor, Celine Browning! Her show, Skinned, is about repurposing common objects to show their functions and how they reflect their owners. I really enjoyed her sculptures pictured here, which are made of a female and male model skeleton set. The piece is titled Portrait of CB and ATS, and Celine talked to us about how the piece shows the fragility of a domestic partnership, and is actually the two heights of her and her husband! I also liked the work of Karl Stevens, who has portraits, sketches and comics up at Carroll & Sons.

Other than painting, this week has been relatively low key art wise. We went over our ideas for the upcoming project due dates in both Seminar and Contemporary Trends. On the non art front though, however, I had my second math test on Wednesday and a big presentation in science, which will count for 25% of my grade! Luckily, I think both went pretty well.
This week was also registration week, and my classes for next semester are:
Fine Arts Seminar
3D Figure Studio
Sculpture Studio
Ideas of Western Art II
Women, Art, & Society
I’m so excited to have all art classes and finally be taking another Women’s studies course! It’ll be another busy semester, and all of the 3D work will definitely be a challenge, but I’m ready for lots of studio time and lots of art history studying. 🙂