Prof. Bokhari’s recent publications and presentations
Prof. Bokhari has the following accomplishments to report:
- A book chapter titled “Between Patron and Piety: Jahan Ara Begum’s Sufi Affiliations and Articulations” in Sufism and Society: Arrangements of the Mystical in the Muslim World, 1200-1800 C.E., ed. John J. Curry and Erik S. Ohlander (London and New York: Routledge, August, 2011).
- She also published an article titled “Imperial Transgressions and Spiritual Investitures: Female Agency in Seventeenth Century Mughal India.” Journal of Persianate Studies, Special Issue, (June 2011, Brill ). [Imperial Transgressions and Spiritual Investitures page 1]
- “The ‘Light’ of the Timuria: Jahan Ara Begum’s Patronage, Piety and Poetry in 17th C. Mughal India.”Marg Art Journal, 60.1 (2008): 52-61. [The “Light” of the Timuria page 1]
Prof. Bokhari has helped to create a documentary film scheduled for broadcast on PBS in 2012. “Islamic Art: Mirror of the Invisible World” a documentary film exploring themes such as the Word, Space, Ornament, Color, and Water, the film takes audiences on a global journey through Islamic regions to hear the stories behind the masterworks of Islamic art and architecture. (GardnerFilms.com)
- “Chasing Legacy: Jahan Ara Begum’s( 1614-1681) Loci of Memory at Begum Dalani, Ajmer (1638), Chahar Burj, Lahore (1646) and the Mullah Shah Khanaqah, Srinagar, Kashmir (1648).” Trust for Historic Arts and Architecture Pakistan. Lahore, Pakistan, November 11-13, 2011.
- “Sexual Desire as Mystical Confessions in Jahan Ara Begam’s (1614-1681) Autobiographical Sufi Writings.” Women’s Autobiography in Islamic Societies: Representation and Identity. The American University Sharjah, Dubai, 29-31 October, 2011
- “Ars Erotica: ‘Visualizing’ the Sensual Sūfi in 16th-18th C. Ottoman, Safavid and Mughal Miniature Paintings, Poetry and Sūfi narratives” Harvard University: Aga Khan Program Fellowship Lecture Series, April 22, 2011.