Interior Design Major Heather Kology Wins Donghia Scholarship

For the fourth time in six years, a NESADSU undergraduate in Interior Design has won a prestigious Angelo Donghia Foundation scholarship. Vernon, Connecticut resident Heather Kology is following in the footsteps of Kim Kelley (2006), Kate McGoldrick (2008) and Anna Parfentieva (2010) in receiving one of this year’s thirteen scholarships, which will pay all the expenses of her senior year – tuition, books and supplies – up to $30,000, making this one of, if not the, most prestigious and valuable scholarships available to interior design students.

In the biographical statement that accompanied her scholarship application, Heather described her “passion, from a young age…to find, enhance and create beauty within my surroundings” as her rationale for having chosen design as a profession. “I consider myself to be an extremely versatile designer, and I constantly strive to better myself in all that I do. Whether completing projects for my internship at the residential design firm LHD Interiors, or renovating my own apartment, I apply my intuitive and learned knowledge of design to every aspect of my life.”

In this spring’s Residential Design Studio, Heather designed the interiors for a waterfront home with a seafaring past on the shore of Salem [MA] bay. Drawing her inspiration from the nearby ocean, she created a connection “to the roots of New England’s maritime past” – to award-winning effect.